OMC 225 Tilt not engaging

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,<br /><br />I have a 1978 Sea Ray with a OMC 225 engine with the original outdrive on it. <br /><br />Everything works great and the engine runs smooth except for the tilt. The trim works fine though.<br /><br />When you hit the tilt switch all you hear is a clicking noise rather than the motor engaging and the I/O going up or down. <br /><br />I believe it is not an electrical problem since I hear the clicking noise. <br /><br />Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br /> :)

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC 225 Tilt not engaging

The clicking I was hearing is one of two solenoids on the starboard side in the back of the engine. It is hard to follow the wires from the tilt motor (port side) all the way to the starboard side (where the two solenoids are.) Which solenoid is for the tilt motor? Or are they both for the tilt motor?<br /><br />I took apart the gear housing and removed the snap ring. The I/O dropped down and moves freely. <br /><br />I believe it is either the tilt motor that is frozen or the solenoid may be bad???<br /><br />How would I possibly check if the solenoid is bad? Could I test the tilt motor without the solenoid to see if that is what is wrong?<br /><br />Anyone have any other ideas?<br /><br />Thanks again,

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm having the same problem and have learned a lot the past couple weeks about troubleshooting the tilt motor and stuff. Mine does the same thing...just clicks and clicks. I took gear attached to the outdrive that rolls through the gear on the clutch housing to remove the load from the tilt motor, clutch assembly, so the clutch would turn freely, then i flipped the switch on the motor and got nothing. Next, I took off the tilt motor (from inside), grounded it, and put direct 12V current to it on the two wire connector (one wire is up, one is down), and got nothing...hence the motor. Took it to an electrical shop and there was a ground inside it. They fixed it, and it worked for a while two days...now I'm back where I started. Bottom line is this...you can check the motor by doing the above that I did. If it spins ok in both directions, then your problem is more than likely in the clutch assembly. Open the drain plug...if you get water or water in the oil dripping, then that could be the problem...If you do, remove the clutch housing cap, and clean the inside, put it together, new oil, and see what happens. If the motor runs and the stern moves up and down by hand, and the clutch assembly looks good, then you may have a solinoid problem, although you hear a click...doesn't mean it is giving the motor all the juice it needs. From what I understand, it takes a fully charged battery to operate the tilt up, down is easier. I'm going to pull my motor off again tomorrow and if it is not spinning with direct current applied then I'm going to go ahead and get a new one. This is a 1985 OMC stern drive and it is the original tilt motor. <br />Hope this helps.<br />Cal

mcpo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forgot something...I don't know about yours, but on mine there are two solinoids for the tilt motor. One spins it up and other down. I also have two for the trim. I have select trim which is a separate switch and is located on the throttle control. So...I have 4 solinoids. I'm having trouble with the trim too. The motor is fine...It spins when i test it like I did the tilt motor, and it moves the engine up and down...but when hooked up, it doesn't even click the solinoids, neither one of them. So...I'm assuming I have a problem between the switch and the solinoid. Either the switch is bad, or the wiring is bad from the switch to the solinoid. I did short out the solinoids and they ran the trim motor...so I think they are ok.<br />Tell me what you think?<br />Cal

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply!!! <br /><br />I did hook up the tilt motor to the battery and it seems to short (made sparks.) Maybe there is a short in the tilt motor (the negative and positive are touching each other in the motor.)<br /><br />I did take the clutch assembly apart and it moves freely and the oil looked brand new when I drained it.<br /><br />I installed a brand new battery when I got the boat.<br /><br />I hear a very loud, strong clicking noise from the solenoids. The tilt motor does not turn at all.<br /><br />How hard is it to pull the tilt motor? Looks like the I/O mount on the inside would be in the way.<br /><br />Where can I get replacement solenoids to see if that is what the problem is?<br /><br />Thanks again,