OMC 185 V8- Thermostat

trdexpert

Seaman Apprentice
:confused:Do marine engines have thermostats? My mechanic recommended my removing it so that engine can run cooler in the water?

Should I remove it?

Thanks!

Re: OMC 185 V8- Thermostat

I wouldnt only because any engine runs at its optimum (not maximum) effiency when at operating temp which should be 160*F for your engine. fuel economy would suffer but not greatly and there would be more carbon build up over time. This happens because your engine wont be combusting fuel entirely as it would at operating temp temp causing a higher rate of build up on the piston crown, valves, and cylinder wall above the pistons max travel.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you should probably check out some other mechanics

your engine has a thermostat and requires it to maintain even cooling throughout the engine block and heads. cold lake water hitting hot cylinder walls not good.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

if you are not using the boat in salt water, use a 180? thermostat. This is also assuming that your motor is carburated, not FI'd.

Somewhere I saw a graph of engine wear for cooler running engines. This includes 160? stats. Cold engines run tighter and create more wear. Also, in addition to reducing cylinder wear, 180-195 is optimum combustion chamber temperatures.

160? thermostats were only ever a compromise to try to keep salt from plating out inside the block. No salt-Too cold!!!

Also, as mentioned above, a thermostat also keeps the engine from being alternately shocked by cold water. The continuous expansion and contraction of the block and heads are not a good thing.