OMC 140 Manifold Options

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I'm dropping a new 140 (181GM) into my project right now and I basically need to get every piece of manifold that goes from the head of the engine to the outdrive (400 series stringer).

I'm wondering what my options are for this. I have the Rochester 2 bbl carb. Would it be possible to use a mercruiser 140 manifold and riser somehow? Any ideas as to where I should look for the pieces I need?

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC 140 Manifold Options

Thanks for the links.

I have noticed a slight difference between the intake/exhaust ports on the head on my engine and the some of the manifolds for the 140's. The ports on my head seem like they may be slightly smaller than the ports on some of the manifolds I've seen. It also seems that the middle two ports on my head are spaced further apart than the middle two on some of the manifolds.

My question is this: I think there was a difference from the <1985 140's and the >1985 140's. If I am correct in assuming this, will the newer style manifold still work with the older style head?

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There's been a few subtle changes over the years...
Yes, it'll Run with any of the manifolds,...
But,.. It'll probably run Better with the 1 that is a Perfect match...

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply Bond-o. I did some more digging and found the 3 differences. Now I'll just have to look at my head and figure which of the 3 it is so that I can keep an eye out for the matching manifold.

Will a Mercruiser manifold work on an OMC, or are there differences?

Thanks again,

-Ryan

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, sorry about that. I mean a freshly rebuilt and new to me engine.

It appears to me that I have an old style head with the large ports, so the search is on for a matching manifold and riser complete with end caps. Used and in good condition or new, whichever is the best deal.

Thanks,

-Ryan