OMC 115 Turbojet/Seaswirl Squirt

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC 115 Turbojet/Seaswirl Squirt

I have taken the steering cable from the transom fitting (I left it connected at the helm) and suspended it above the boat so it is up and down and every time I walk by I refill the end with WD-40 so it is running down into the cable. This may or may not work but if it ruins it, it had to be replaced anyway. The only thing that can happen is it fixes it for a while (I think) so I might save a few dollars there. The welding and flushing will be between $50 and $75. The boat registration runs out at the end of June. I have to renew and transfer that to Virginia as well as the trailer which expired in 2007. The money pit continues. :(

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

I took the day off from boat fixin, cleaned my neglected house, cut my too tall grass and paid those "due today" bills. I'm broker than ever now but my life is somewhat back in order.
Back to it tomorrow so be prepared for more stupid questions! :D :confused:

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I pulled the heads and cleaned ALOT of sand out of the water passages, put the new gaskets on and torqued the heads to 105 ft/lbs. The water deflectors are in place and looking gpod. Why was there so much oil in the cylinders? I expected none since it is a 2 cycle. From as far as I could check the cylinder walls looked fine and there was no debris in the heads. The thermostats should be here tomorrow then it all goes back together and in the boat at which point I get to see how little I know about carburation and timing. You guys might just have me back on the water soon.
A trillion and one thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Take the cylinder head bolts down to 18 to 20 Foot Pounds; 105 is for the flywheel nut.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Oops... 20 is what I meant to type and what I really torqued them to. Is the oil in the cylinders normal for a 2 cycle?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Oil is normal if the motor was fogged before it was stored, or if it was running at idle before it was shut down. Some oil is normal anyway - you want that to protect the moving parts.

On my nephew's Turbojet we ran the oil at high performance level or 24:1 because he was using it primarily as a ski boat. After a few years I tore the engine down again for a complete rebuild and found it spotless. We had used Pennzoil Synthetic Blend exclusively in that engine.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning. The engine wasn't fogged prior to storage but possibly it was shut off last at idle. I just had no idea that rthe fuel/oil mix would separate like that. I always used Quicksilver in it (non synthetic). I never noticed any great advantage. I think I did it simply because a trusted friend suggested it. I never tore the engine down but it looked really good as far as I could see. I have always run the boat kinda hard and fast and more often than not it is pulling a skiier, tuber, wakeboarder or something. If it would make enough torque I'd try pulling a parasail. Maybe I should go with the higher gas/oil mix. Is there a way to increase the VRO output or do I have to add oil to the gas to get a closer ratio?
The thermostats should be here today so the engine should be puttering in the boat by the weekend. I still haven't checked anything on the jet pump yet though. From the amount of sand in the engine I'm guessing I'm going to find a lot of sand somewhere in that pump.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Thankfully there is only a short distance of pathways in the drive and they are simple to clean.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

We mixed the gas and oil in the tank at 24:1 and used the original pump as a premix pump; that got rid of the oil tank. I also put a petcock on the fuel line so that we could shut the fuel off quickly.

I don't think that you need to run it 24:1. The kids ran the boat WOT most of the time, so I just started it at 24:1 after the first rebuild and they never changed back to 50:1.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning. I hope all is well. I about cut off a finger tip last week so I haven't been able to do much. I'm gonna try to get back to it today. I'm heading off to visit family next week though so not sure how much I'll get done before I go. It should be a half day work but this is ME after all so...
I hope you are all doing great and enjoying the summer.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

WOO HOO! I'm back in town, weather has calmed a bit so I put my engine back in today. It fired right up with the help of starter fluid. I ran it just for a second then shut it off About 15 minutes later it started on it's own but I shut it down after about two second because it was running at SUPER high rpm's. It doesn't have a water load on it of course but it seemed higher than it ran before I pulled it apart which was also with no water load. The only thing I haven't done is put the muffler hose assy back on. Would that cause the increased rpm's? I think I'm not going to run it again until I put that hose assy back on and put it in the water to run it. I feel better with a water load on it as opposed to running it with the hose attachment. Anything other than leaks I should be looking for while rigging the controls?
Thanks,
Robert

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Did you get that skeetrzeeke in the water yet???:D

mfh4d

Recruit

I have been following this thread with much interest. I bought a Sunbird Sizzler 14 foot with this same drive. I had to fix a few things to get it to idle well. I had no way to attach a "tester" like on outboards, but the engine ran fine. Until I took it out on the water. It overheated in no time. BTW the compression on each cylinder is 120 all around even after the overheat and the cylinders and heads look fine. Took of the heads and water jacket covers and found dried sandy corrosion. Took off the water manifold (really hard to get to) and found no thermostats and some damp sand. When I try to force water through the pickup hose that comes from the jet drive, no water comes out of the ports in the water manifold. I can only see two ways for water to leave or enter the heads: the large manifold at the bottom of the head and the small fitting at the top. Does water enter from the block? Someone said that water is supposed to exit the head at the bottom and be regulated by the thermostat. Where does it come in? Does this drive have a water pump/impeller? Or does it use the jet drive at the pump? If I have to remove the engine, is it best to remove it with the adaptor plate and muffler? Is there a pilot shaft out of the transmission that mates to the engine? I really hope I don't have to pull the engine. Thanks in advanced.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

mfh4d:

The water enters the the engine from the adapter plate and flows through the engine's cooling passages to the cylinder heads on the way to the thermostat housing. The water enters the block in a column located below the water cooled rectifier. See the blue arrow on the thumbnail.

Most of the TurboJet drives had standard 90 or 115 OMC crossflow engines. The parts diagrams are listed on the BRP/Evinrude site, but you will need the factory service manual to continue very far with the work. You should find the factory manual on Ebay from time to time or from the printer.

http://shop.evinrude.com/

Use the search tab and your model number here: http://www.outboardbooks.com/

The model number should be on the welch plug on the top of the starboard cylinder bank. 1994 115 would be 115JEER.

Attachments

• 115 block.jpg
    115 block.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1

mfh4d

Recruit

Thanks sooo much. I knew that there had to be another passage. Two follow up questions. 1) Can the adaptor plate/exhaust manifold be removed enblock with the powerhead by removing the two front motor mounts? The powerhead is an Evinrude crossflow 115. I could possibly get my hand under to remove the bolts holding the powerhead (block) to the adapter plate, but it sure would hurt. 2) Is there a water pump? I know that the outboards use an impeller in the lower unit, but this thing has no lower unit. Thanks again. I'm looking for a service manual.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

No water pump. The intake hole is at 12 o'clock inside the jet pump just behind the impeller. Not sure about your boat but with mine no chance on getting at those bolts without pulling the motor/ adaptor assembly as a unit.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning. I'm back again and she has been in the water but never off the trailer. With the changing weather my priorities have had to change as well. I really haven't had the opportunity to do anything recently.
Mfh4d, you are a lucky man having found this thread. I could not have gotten as far as I have without this help. I wish I could be of assistance. All I can say is definitely take the engine out WITH the adapter unless your boat is greatly different than mine. Plus with finding sand (as I found the same) I think it was a good thing to flush that adapter since the sand had to go through it first and in my case ALOT of sand remained in there.
Best of luck and I will keep an eye on this thread still in case I can be of any assistance.
Thanks again so much to Zeke and Skeetr!

mfh4d

Recruit

You're absolutely right, Parrotsummer. Anyone know where I can get parts for muffle/adaptor/water inlet. I need the gaskets for the engine to adaptor and adaptor to manifold. I could use copper RTV otherwise. I also would like to replace the "J" exhaust hose while I'm at it. I put few dents in the lower seal cover of the powerhead. The hole for the shaft is fine, but the domed part has a few new dimples. iboats wants a princely sum for a new one. Anyone have a better source?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The parts you listed are readily available from any BRP/Evinrude dealer or on line through: http://shop.evinrude.com/

When you get to the first drop down window, select TurboJet rather than Evinrude, then your model year.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Turbojetmarineproducts.com They have always been fair and a great help to me. With this engine and the Mercury Sportjet 90. Both engine and propulsion.