oldest equipment found on boat

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok this may be an odd topic but thought it might be interesting to see what everyone comes up with

today since I have a majority of the mechanical stuff worked out on the new Fiberform I decided to clean out some of the storage compartments. While cleaning I came to the emergency gear that the gentleman said was included and not to looking at the flares needless to say I figure it is slightly expired the manufacture date is sept 66 the sad thing is the boat is a 72. I had planed on putting new gear on anyway before I saw it but this gave me a slight chuckle

here is pic

2012-04-12_12-34-50_773.jpg

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: oldest equipment found on boat

Oldest piece of equipment in my boat is me and I'm still not as old as your flares. :D

angus63

Captain

I was written up for expired flares ($150 ticket) during a random county inspection while underway. They were expired by less than a month. I was ticked off that it wasn't enough to point it out and ask me to update them. I brought the new ones with me to the county clerk and they ripped up the ticket. Old ones are in my car now.
I still have a spinning type General Marine depth finder with a paper chart on my boat. Haven't turned it on in more than a decade.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1984 Furuno depth finder on my boat - there when I bought it. Thank gawd I have the crusty 'ol manual to tell me how it works, because nothing on the internet. It is a huge thing, size of a lunch box and and a beautiful amber screen like the old computers from the '80s. I'm still using it!

halfmoa

Ensign

The fire extinguisher that was on my boat when I got it was original to the boat. 1972. Yes, it's been replaced. No, I haven't checked to see if it actually would've worked but I'm planning on it.

The flares were from the early 80s too. Replaced.

The PFDs were original to the boat too. Replaced.

There was also a bottle of sun screen that looked OLDER than the boat. The only thing I remember about it was that it was manufactured in Israel. Odd....

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had an old bottle of wild turkey 101 that had the old style cap with dust on it from sitting in the little out of the way liquior store for years once.........smoooooooooooth. Stopped doing that long time ago.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Other than my 1962 outboard, Id say the next oldest is probably my Joe Camel crankbait.

screennamie

Seaman

1953 Alumacraft. Just removed original switches and wiring from my first purchase. SCARY looking kinda brown and just plain old! Gotta be the oldest I've ever seen.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

not to hijack.......HEY LOOK......A SQUIRREL !

i remember being in victorias inner harbour.
this was the same harbour as captain george vancouver sailed into.

some of the slips have been there for 150 years......in the center of town (bastion squair) there is still a lock where they used to lock the sailors heads and wrists into.

any how........the stuff under the boats in the slips (in the water) are really old.....some empty 150 year old bottles !
has any one recovered any cool treasures?