Older style oil filter on a newer engine, OK?

1Gunner

Cadet
My local mercury dealer sold me a 26K04 filter for my "brand new to me" 2013 25HP EFI.
Told him the year and model.

I removed a 26K03 and installed the new 26K04, and added oil.... thinking it was just a larger capacity filter (longer body), the gasket and threads are the same.

I then discover the 26K04 filter is"listed" for older pre-2006 25 HP engines.

Is there any problem running with this filter? Obviously my dealer isn't a source of information...

Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Go to the Wix www cross reference filter listing. Insert each of the numbers and check out the differences. There are thousands of filters out there and they all boil down to 4 basic areas: Dimensions, including stud thread size, flow rate, bypass pressure if a bypass valve is used, and material. Most have a lower limit on flow (to be classified as full flow.....all of the oil pumped goes through that filter continuously as compared to a clean up filter that is around 5 micron and only sees like 10% of the volume the pump delivers) determined primarily by the area of the filtration material and the micron rating, usually around 20 for a full flow filter. The bypass will be around 8-10" for a clogged filter. The dimensions are all over the place and a lot of the filters out there are just like thousands of others except a particular engine mfgr. has this dimensional spec that has to be met so the filter is a few thousands narrower or wider, longer or shorter, or the gasket is closer or farther from the edge of the thing. Having a farm, boat, road vehicles, and multiple small engines, I did a little checking one day and significantly reduced the number of filters I had to keep on hand to service my equipment.

1Gunner

Cadet
Thanks,I ended up calling the marine dealer and spoke with their service dept. Service guy claimed that it will work just fine.... so it should be fine.