Older Johnson Tilt

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a sweet running 1973 20 hp Johnson. Every other outboard I have ever owned has been newer, so I am accustomed to flipping the tilt lever and pivoting the motor up, where it automatically locks in place. This '73 has the thumb knop on the transom clamp that says "lock" and 'release." When I release the motor to tilt it up, nothing latches. I don't see anything missing, when I compare it to similar motors. I did snug up the pivot bolt a little, so now it stays up by friction, but it isn't latched. Are these motors supposed to latch, or are they all simply held up by a friction fit?

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Older Johnson Tilt

im probably wrong but i think u may have it reversed. i think u want it on lock when u wanna lock it in the upright and release when running. lol u have me confused here, trying to picture my 76 with that setup. I think this is right.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Older Johnson Tilt

There is no lock. It is friction only. The lock and release lever is for stopping the engine from kicking up in reverse. If it's locked you can use more power in reverse, if it is released and you reverse the engine will kick up. But even locked if you hit something at speed (going forward) it will release so as to minimize damage.