Older Evinrude Parts ?

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know Bombardier took over OMC when OMC went bankrupt, so a question about parts support. I'm looking for a 15hp motor for my 12' tinny and older 2 stroke Evinrude 15s are the lightest ones.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many of the regular service parts are available.-----Major parts like cowlings / housings are also available on the e-bay / used market.----Well built / popular motors.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The older two stroke 9.9/15 hp OMC motors have some of the best parts support of any outboard. Both aftermarket and oem cover just about anything you are likely to need. They sold millions of them, so used parts are also readily available and inexpensive. Much lighter, smoother running, and easier to maintain than the current 4 strokes in that horsepower range .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Got my clutch dog for my 1956 Johnson 30 hp right from the dealer.Whats the deal with 76 15hp omc,s?Mine was flawless and still is for its current owner.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Got my clutch dog for my 1956 Johnson 30 hp right from the dealer.Whats the deal with 76 15hp omc,s?Mine was flawless and still is for its current owner.

I just KNEW somebody would come back with saying that. They drove us guys in the service shop nuts, trying to make them run one weekend, much less more. OMC came out with several kits to fix them, none of them worked. We'd call the motor in, install the kit and send the motor out on Friday and it would be back Monday morning. Fouled plugs. Happened mostly on sailboats, but certainly other boats also. Unfortunately, the motor was "ideal" for sailboats and sold very well for that purpose. That is until word got out among the sailboaters, then you couldn't give an OMC 9.9 or 15 to any of them. But Sea Gull sales went up nicely.

In 1977 they put CD ignition on them and they ran much better. But the reputation was already damaged.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Though I didn't specifically say so mine was a 76 .Only issue I had was any plug but a champion would make it run terrible.Champion plugs were all It liked for what ever reason and as odd as it sounds.What parts were you replacing? Ignition?I have a 74 6hp Johnson now and she runs great also.In the seventies I was a merc fanatic ,particularly the 20hp.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I I'm looking for a 15hp motor for my 12' tinny and older 2 stroke Evinrude 15s are the lightest ones.

I rigged a 12' Starcraft with a '57 10hp Evinrude -- installed a wheel and simplex box at the center seat and got a fast boat out of it. Remote rigging was probably a little over the top, but steering from the center seat gave just the right balance (could use a tiller extension). Fun rig.

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I'll like to take it out on the Fraser River to salmon fish. The boat is rated for 15hp . I use a boatloader ,so putting a 20hp on it is both silly and much too heavy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Though I didn't specifically say so mine was a 76 .Only issue I had was any plug but a champion would make it run terrible.Champion plugs were all It liked for what ever reason and as odd as it sounds.What parts were you replacing? Ignition?I have a 74 6hp Johnson now and she runs great also.In the seventies I was a merc fanatic ,particularly the 20hp.

By the time your '76 was built, most of the changes were made, but they still did not run right. But the changes involved a lot of stuff, like armature plate and its mounting, various spark plugs, replaced carburetors, replaced cylinder heads, blamed it on cooling temperature, and I just don't remember what else. Yep, the 6hp was a great motor, and they didn't manage to mess that one up.