Older Evinrude OB questions

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old (60's??) Evinrude, the old silverish-blue standard color. It belonged to my friend's deceased neighbor. He used to have a little fishing boat; this motor has been sitting unused in his shed for over 10 years, not having been started, but also not exposed to the elements (besides Michigan cold temps inside the shed) I don't have a repair question, but the Rude guys can certainly give me some insight. My guess is that this is perhaps an 18 or 20 horse. How do I determine the hp and the age? My guess is by the S/N? I've never owned a Rude. The motor looks complete, in "ok" shape overall, and I'd like to part with it, preferably to someone who can get it going and either use it to run their boat or at least for parts if there is any problem with it. I am not a mechanic at any level...I know how to change my spark plugs and mix gas/oil.

Any help?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Older Evinrude OB questions

Look on the transom bracket for a metal plate 1" X 3". The first number set will be the model number.

If it is not there the numbers are sometimes repeated on the welch plug on the engine block. The welch plug is quarter-sized and aluminum colored.​