Older Dowty Turbocraft Jet Boat

75-JOHNSON

Seaman
I found one for sale locally and dont know to much about these old boats. It is a 1960 Dowty Turbocraft Boat with a ford inboard, through haul exhaust and berkeley jet pump.

Im just curious, what are these boat made out of? i assume aluminum not fibreglass. Also are they suitable for fast water rivers? Would you expect the berkly pump is stock equipment on a boat like this, because i didnt think berkeley pumps were 50 years old.

What would a person want to watch out for when purchasing something like this?

Any insights on the performance or characteristics of a boat like this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Older Dowty Turbocraft Jet Boat

What would a person want to watch out for when purchasing something like this?

Ayuh,... an Antique Ford, ya can't buy parts for....

1960, it's probably an old 312....
What's it got for carbs,..??

mr 88

Commander

If you do not get any help here I would try fiberglassics.com for info on the hull. Page 5 on there main forum under the heading of Americas First Jet boat has a video of a 1959 Buehler in action.As far as getting parts for the jet drive and maintance required I would try screamand fly.com they have a jetdrive section in there forum. I recently saw a add on CL for two Berkley complete jet assemblys going for 700.Parts are available for just about anything, IF you know where to look and have the time to do it.It could very well be a glass boat I believe Buehler started making glass jet boats around then.
Yes they are very suitable for fast rivers, I believe the Columbia river is full of them,shallow draft makes them very desirable in places like that.They have a 45' jet that takes tourist up the lower Niagara River where the current is around 20 mph, before they have to turn back. I read somewhere that the jets need some sort of lubrication every few trips. May depend on make/ model /year.Back in 65 a rich kid at the beach had a Buehler jet and it was a blast. Full speed and just crank the wheel as hard as you could,come to a complete stop and get hit with the spray from the rooster tail.The hull design will determine what kind of ride to expect.Probably not a boat to troll for fish with and a bit iffy on docking because of the propulsion system.

75-JOHNSON

Seaman

Thanks for the replies...

When you talk about docking being iffy, is that because the jet is always engaged as long as the engine is running? like there is no way to disengage it?

mr 88

Commander

Slow speed control due to the nature of propulsion can be touchy.There should be a neutral on this setup.You do have reverse,but this is not a I/O or outboard where the prop steers without the slippage you get with a jet.More like docking a single screw inboard.It's not horrific just a tad more difficult.Ask some jet skiers that own both and see what they say.I would not turn away from a purchase of a jet for that reason alone.Takes a little practice to overcome its shortcomings in that dept.There are some jet subjects listed right below this post.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

jets will outmaneuver prop boats at the dock, hands down... Most people's second hand opinion from poor manuevering is from watching a jetski slam into a dock. keep in mind the majority of pwc's do NOT have reverse or even neutral.

With a jet, the prop is always turning. Neutral is when the reverse bucket is halfway covering the thrust, and obviously reverse is with the bucket all the way down. The reason I say jets outmanuever props is that I can use my single jet to do things even a twin screw couldn't do. I can obviously turn on a dime in my own length, but by moving the reverse bucket up and down, I can slide the boat straight sideways. Even when my jet is 'neutral' and the boat is 100% not moving, turning the steering wheel will cause the boat to spin in place.

(disclaimer, I have owned about a dozen boats, mostly prop, but also 2 jet boats and 2 pwcs)

anyway, if thats glass, it will NOT work well for what you are referring to as a 'river' boat. Those shallow water river boats spend half their time bouncing off logs/rocks. A glass boat wouldn't stand up for long.

75-JOHNSON

Seaman

thanks crater,

yeah i was mostly wondering about that last part. most people around my area with jet boats have aluminum ones and usually are coated with teflon to, and sometimes they take a beating on the river. thats my only concern.