Older boat has reoccuring mold on hull problem

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an older boat (70's) that has a mold problem. I have washed the hull with soap and a little bleach but after a few rainy days it came back. I preassure washed the hull, than waxed it and after some more rain it came back again. The gel coat is not in the greatest shape, but this is a beater boat so not worried about appearence to much. Other than sanding and painting, does anyone have a suggestion to keep it from comming back?

Red

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Older boat has reoccuring mold on hull problem

its called an acid wash.

professional toilet bowl and urinal cleaner.....from a jamitors shop....not wall mart.

use fll stregnth.....leave on boat for 5 mins.....then use a broom ish thingy to scrub hull....

wear protection...containes muriatic and hydrochloric acid......protect galvinized trailers with plastic.

a mairne mechanic or shop will do it for 200 bux.......or you can fly me down to do it.....ill do it for free if you pay the flight.....lol

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet, thx for the tip. I have a janitorial supply shop local so I'll get some and do it up. Will this stuff brighten up an aluminum trailer and aluminum tool box?

Red

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What oops said will clean it off.
But then after it is rinsed and waxed, the mold will come back like it has done before.
You need to eliminate the conditions that promote the growth.
Is the boat under cover like a carport or garage with ventilation?
Or just sitting under a tree?