Old wiring help

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat had terrible old wiring that was laying around. I opened up to get at the back of the fuse panel and have been pretty stumped trying to figure out what I'm supposed to wire to positive and negative to figure out what works. Any help and direction to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3.JPG1.JPG2.JPG

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Old wiring help

Looks like your switch panel has inline fuses - mine was the same way. In that case there is not a separate fuse panel. You should have a hot input lead (fused) from the battery end that goes into one end of each switch, then an output (unfused) lead from the other end of each switch that goes to each respective accessory.

Because of the coloring I'm not certain that your fuse panel also buses the negative (ground) leads, though the black lines going into and out of the battery harness makes me inclined to think so. You will have to do some digging - follow the wire from one of your accessories to the fuse panel and see if your negatives go to the panel or to somewhere else.

I had some confusion with the old wiring in my boat as well and ended up redoing the entire thing so that I KNEW it was correct. I'd recommend doing the same thing here - take the whole panel apart, run your new wiring, and rewire it the way you want it. I added in a distribution block with both positive and negative ends, put the fused leads from my switch panel and all of the grounds to the distro block, and ran heavier gauge positive and negative leads back to my battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nothing is going to work until you put fuses into the two empty fuse holders. You can get new fuse holders just like those at Radio Shack for cheap. the wiring doesn't look terrible and I see nothing disconnected.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know that the fuses are out. My biggest problem is trying to figure out what wires get connected to the (+) and (-) terminals.

sch.JPG

A is connected to + side of belge pump (negative side of pump is joined at rear of boat)
B is connected to + side of airator (negative side of pump is joined at rear of boat)
C is connected to + side of anchor light (negatives should be rear of the boat)
D is connected to + all running lights including dash but not including anchor (negatives are normally dasiy chained together then to - post)
E is battery postive post + or common side of battery selector switch
F is ? no idea color indicates its a - negative from the battery but unless you see what its connected to thats just a guess

Last edited: