old steel fuel tank

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
howdy all i gots me a question.a coworker asked ne this question today and i had no anwser so thought i would post it here.she recieved an old aluminum boat which has i guess a steel tank in it.whe says there is rust in the tank and would like to know the best way to remove it.she had mentioned that she thought she knew of some kind of chemical that would do the trick but couldnt remember the name of it.but all ideas are welcome at this point.dont think she is in a hurry to get it done just want to do it wiht the least amout of physical labor involved.ty in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: old steel fuel tank

The Best, Quickest, Easiest,+ Probably the Cheapest, in the long run,<br />Is to Replace it with a New Plastic Tank.........<br /><br />The Tank Coatings you ask of are Extremely Labor Intensive.......

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats pretty much what i had figured.but for the sake of me being able to bring them more info could you give a bit more on those tank coatings?

Bondo

Staff member

but for the sake of me being able to bring them more info could you give a bit more on those tank coatings?
Find a Small Engine/ Lawn Mower Store.....<br />Ask Them about "Tank Cream"......<br /><br />Better Yet,<br />Tell Her to Forget About It,+ Buy a New Plastic Tank......<br /><br />The tank Liners Don't Work........<br />It'll seperate,+ Peel Off, Clogging her Fuel System........<br /><br />A Rusted Tank is JUNK......

18rabbit

Captain

I believe any steel tanks are now required to be made of cast iron…or NOT cast iron...I forget exactly, but I do remember there is only one method of fabrication now allowed for steel fuel tanks. I also remember something about NOT coating the tank, or only coating one side… :confused: <br /><br />You might want to look into the steel tank regs and see if your friend’s fuel tank is ok to use today. If not, it might be worth swapping as mentioned above, for safety reasons alone.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info and thoughts. i'll certinly pass them on.personally i also say gat a new tank.too east not to in this case save alot of trouble an worry about getting all the rust out and such.ill look into the tank cream anyway.told her i would look into all things i could find so gotta look at that one too. i think though she will eventually see it my (our) way and replace but she a bit stubborn.all i can say is im doing all that i promised i would but in the it is still her boat.thanks again.