old mercury identification

joseph1980

Seaman
so i've inherited an antique mercury outboard and am having some trouble identifying it. i was told it was a 10 hp. the plate that goes on the front of the outboard along with the serial number tag are long gone. It still have points ignition. it's all black in color. it has lightning cast into the side of the cylinder block. it has what i've heard referred to as a side bowl carburetor. it looks exactly like this outboard, minus the mercury lettering is a little different and it's missing the 9.8 decals and the 110 plate on the front of the motor. any idea of the year range of this motor? coding this similiar ebay motor out it shows to be in the 70-72 range, however i thought that year had the hybrid ignition? i can take pics later today if it will help out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mer..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2ebd9628c7&vxp=mtr

joseph1980

Seaman
Re: old mercury identification

forgot to add that when i pulled the flywheel it has a phelon ignition

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: old mercury identification

Phelon mag with that style cowling puts it as somewhere between 1963 and 1965. Starting in 1966 they got rid of the chrome top handle and put the pull handle in the center, and 1962 & prior would have been white motors. Yours is the model 110, 9.8 hp, as the only other small twins from that era had either "Comet" (6hp) or "Super-Hurricane" (20hp) cast into the blocks. For your purposes, the 1963 to 1965 models are mostly the same. Might be some minor differences, but they are largely part-for-part interchangeable....