Old Merc Swapping Controls

linckeil

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1973 85hp Merc on my boat. I have found a 1976 150hp Merc outboard that I'd like to repower my boat with. Question is, will my exisiting 85hp controls work on the 150hp motor?

The 150 has power trim and my 85 does not. So I'll have to add a switch to control the trim, but aside from that, will my 85 hp controls do the job? Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Old Merc Swapping Controls

I have a 1973 85hp Merc on my boat. I have found a 1976 150hp Merc outboard that I'd like to repower my boat with. Question is, will my exisiting 85hp controls work on the 150hp motor?

The 150 has power trim and my 85 does not. So I'll have to add a switch to control the trim, but aside from that, will my 85 hp controls do the job? Thanks.

Easy question, easy answer. YES:D

Chris..........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as long as the plugs match up, yes. T & T switches available i boats store, some had the trailer button also to raise the motor completely.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Linkeil, Those motors have an identical electrical system, as well as throttle and other controls. Unfortunatly the ignition coils, starter and rectifier are different. I have been scavanaging my '73 850 for years to keep my '77 1500 running.

linckeil

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys. thats the answer i was looking for. i'm not sure if i'm going to go ahead with this motor. i have to check it out first. i want to repower with either a 135 or a 150 and i want the trim/tilt option. it also has to be a straight 6. is there a year range for the 135/150 motor that will work with my exisiting 85 controls for future reference in the event this 150 i found doesn't work out for me? thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Linc, Any inline 6 with a distributor and thunderbolt ignition will work. I also think the later ADI ignition systems may work as well. If you go to www.surplusunlimited.com and check out the year motors that use the same wiring harnesses, you may get a better idea.

linckeil

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks chris. i'm new to mercury's. just bought this boat a few weeks ago with the 85 merc on it. i have a lot of experience with the johnson/evinrudes of this era and was actually thinking of repowering it with a V4 135 johnson i have, but i really love the looks of the old mercs, especially on this boat. and my 85 runs so sweet - so i'm off to a good start with the mercs! but i need more speed and the 85 doesn't cut it!!! but i will run it as is this season and will look to swap next year.