Old inline 6 ignition wireing question

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I have a 1961 800 FGS. trouble is the ignition switch. Now the old one is toast, I can get a new one, yet the replacements are only three terminal's not four. The red output rectifier wire is to be hooked up directly to the battery, and then the B wire (white on my harness) is put on the common terminal of the switch, and the I wire (black) on the run terminal, and the C wire (orange) on the start terminal. The choke wire (blue/black jumper) is hooked up to the B wire. Now for my questions, can I just take a new wire from the rectifier, (disconnecting the old red one the rectifier) , and hook the new one up to the battery side of the starter solenoid? Second question, could I just forgo the keyed switch and use a toggle switch for the B to I connection, with B paralled to a push button switch to the C (start) wire? Now I know doing this makes it easy to start, and steal, (if it works) yet I am not worried someone wants my old 80, on a 1964 aroliner boat.:rolleyes:

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Old inline 6 ignition wireing question

Just bumping this one up, to see if any of the old merc people have any thoughts on this.:D

Laddies

Banned

Go to a mercury deal and they can get a direct replacement

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

As I posted earlier, they supply a 3 terminal switch. The dealer said it would fit my controller, just had to rewire the regulator wire, directly to the battery.