Old gas in 90hp Mercury

kywildcat

Seaman
Just recently bought a 2000 Party Barge Regency edition with a 90hp Mercury that has been mothballed for several years. The engine was fogged and winterized prior to storage, and the gas in the tank is at least 2 years old with Stabil added. Is this too old to burn? The tank is about one quarter full and its a 40 gallon tank. Thanks for any replies in advance.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Old gas in 90hp Mercury

I'd have to say it would be a judgement call if it were mine, I've not had good luck running old gas in an outboard. Since there's not that much gas to pump out, it might just as well be best to put in some fresh gas and not worry about it. Being stuck on the water isn't like being stuck on the road.

You can burn off that old fuel in your lawnmower or something a little at a time so it don't go to waste.
(I've burnt old 2 stroke fuel in my garden tractor for years, in most cases, it don't even smoke). If it's really bad, I'll mix a little in at a time with new gas till it's gone. Just make sure it's not full of water, nothing will run on water.