Old Fuel

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,

I use my boat rarely, a full tank of fuel could stay in the boat for 6 months. It may be my imagination but I do believe that the motor does not run as well with this old fuel. A fresh tank seems to be better. I premix and the fuel is kept in the regulation plastic gas tanks.

Is this my imagination?
Can this old fuel be given a "wake up"?
Should this fuel be trashed?
What actually happens to the fuel when in storage? Does the volatile content evaporate leaving a higher oil content? Does the fule simply go "off".

Cheers
Andrew

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Fuel

Andrew, If you mix the gas with oil, evaporation(of the gasoline only) over time makes the mixture a bit rich in oil. My inline Merc ran better on fresh 50::1. Since your fuel does lay around for some time, you probably should put in some fuel stabilizer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are better to mix what you need for the outing, burn the rest in the weedeater. fresh fuel is always better. seafoam and stabilizer are recommended. 6 months is the oldest i ever run.

protozo1

Cadet

Gas does go "bad" after a period of time. If you put fresh gas in a gas can with little or no air with fuel stabilizer it will "keep" for up to 1 year. If the gas has already been sitting for a long time fuel stablizer will not bring it back to life but it will stop further degradation. If you run your motor with a tank of old gas it can really gum up your carb/fuel injectors and make a mess out of things.