Old Fiberglass Boats

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at purchasing a 60's or 70's vintage glass boat. I know that wood stringers and transoms will have rot (specifically looking at Whalers, so stringers should be moot), but I want to know that at the end of the restoration I will have a boat that can be fished and used hard, and still last another 30+ years with proper care.

Is this doable? I want to know that in the end my work will be able to take a beating, and if hulls that old still have life in them.

Thanks for any help!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Old Fiberglass Boats

You have to be careful with old Whalers.

They're tough as nails and last a long time, but if the hull is breached and the foam is waterlogged they're nearly worthless because of they way they're constructed.

If you can find an old one at a reasonable price with no holes or patches in the hull or topside your money will be well spent.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Old Fiberglass Boats

According to all the information here...to answer your question...

I want to know that at the end of the restoration I will have a boat that can be fished and used hard, and still last another 30+ years with proper care.

Is this doable? I want to know that in the end my work will be able to take a beating, and if hulls that old still have life in them."

If you build back right, and maybe even overbuild it a bit...30 years should be no problem...one of the few good things about fiberglass is that it doesn't rot or deteriorate, IF it was done properly, from the beginning...

Some of these old boats, that were built for profit instead of long life have already been around well over thirty years...

As long as the basic fiberglass hull is still sound...you should have no issues...however, beware that if a hull has been run aground real hard or been hit by some underwater debris...it is possible that the hull may look good, but be badly delaminated...this is a buyer beware issue...no real easy way to tell...

And a +1 to jigngrub's comment about the Whalers...

You could also avoid a lot of hard, frustrating, itchy, dusty work and get yourself an aluminum boat...:eek:...I can't believe I just said that out loud...:facepalm:

Have Fun and Happy Boating,
GT1M