Old Evinrude

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone tell me more about THIS motor? Is it what he says it is, are parts available like coils etc...?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Old Evinrude

4 stroke? ask him 4 a serial number to remove any<br />confusion...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I think he meant 4-cyl. as some of those old Evinrudes had stacked opposed cylinders in the 7hp range.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

I think he probably means 4 cylinder too, I'll email and ask.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That motor is a 9.2hp Evinrude Lightfour Imperial, c. 1937-1938. It's a four-cylinder, 2-stroke engine.<br />- Scott

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Thanx Scott, what do you reckon, is it worth getting? It's an ugly brute, but obviously pretty rare over here and might be an interesting thing to have.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Petrolhead,<br /> The Imperials aren't uncommon, but they aren't necessarily common, either. The fact that it retains it's front cowling is a nice touch, as they were often discarded along intervening 60+ years. State-side they can bring anywhere from $50-$200 depending on who's looking and how badly they want it. I have run a later version ('40 with a teardrop shaped tank) and it scooted my 12-footer right along...<br />- Scott

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

So they were intended for planing hulls, or displacement? There doesn't seem to be much interest in this one, if I can get it cheap I may go for it. On the other hand it's not really "my" kind of motor, I prefer the good looking ones!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Petrolhead,<br /> The motor was intended for whatever the buyer wanted to run it on. At approx. 10hp it could push a light planing hull right along at over 20 knots, while with a lower pitch prop it would chug a small day cruiser along at 6 knots.. Use it on whatever hull you'd use a newer 10hp type motor...<br />- Scott

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Thanx again Scott, it looks a little like my Seagull but bigger, and the Seagull is only intended for displacement hulls so I was wondering if this might be the same.<br />The seller doesn't live too far from me, so if there's not much interest I may just have to buy it!