Old decal / graphics removal

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interested in removing the old, worn and flaking decals / graphics from the fence panels. The panels are painted aluminum however not sure just what quality of paint it would have been painted with. Some products mention "Will not harm most cured automotive paints", particularly the 3M Adhesive Remover. My guess the fence wasn't painted with an automotive quality paint... Any suggestions?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer
A heat gun or blow dryer works with removing old vinyl. It is slow going but not bad. There are also plastic scrapers for use with the removal. I use my finger nail to start them it won't damage the paint. Heat guns are very hot so they will blister the paint. Hair dryers are not so hot. The vinyl will melt so a little heat goes a long way. Alcohol will remove the adhesive after the vinyl is gone. Again slow going but doable. Use good vinyl for replacement as it lasts a long time. Cast vinyl is the good stuff.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
^^^ That's probably the best way to do it. We all want an easier way but I can tell you after running a fleet of vehicles in which we would re-decal one from time to time that I've tried it all. There's no magic can of anything that will do better than what was described by MinUph. Also, let one side bake in the sun before starting and that will help.

We did the same to ours and naturally it left a non faded clean look where the decals came off. We went to a local vinyl sign shop and they cut some strips that went over the old ones and looked really good. We even had them reproduce the emblem on their computer design system from a picture and measurements. We had everything made 1/4 inch wider to cover the clean part.