Ok you guys were right. Need motor swap advice.

Caseyjoe

Seaman
Hello again all. In my other topic I had bought an 06 24 ft Bentley pontoon. Turns out it was rated at 150 hp. So I did the logical thing and put an 00 Mercury 225 EFI on it. Runs fantastic. Haven't opened it up or hammered on it yet and no damage to transom or hull but I'm getting ready to pull a tube. Also teaching my 17 year old to use it and maybe sometime let him take it out alone. But not with the 225. No way. It also squats a bit with the 225. I have the opportunity to trade the 225 for a great running 96 Mercury xr6 150 and 700 bucks. Please let me know what you guys think. Everything good or bad is greatly appreciated. You guys have already helped me so much. Thanks in advance!

Caseyjoe

Seaman
How will the 150 pull a tube? Is it really enough with 8 people on deck and a tube behind?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It will pull the tube fine. But why do you have to put $700 into the deal and you have a larger and newer motor?

ahicks

Captain
It's as much about what the engine weighs as it is horsepower. Without looking into all the specifics for the engines you're considering, it's safe to say the 4 cylinder engines are generally quite a bit lighter than the 6's. An extra 100lbs hanging on the transom can make a very noticeable difference as you've seen!

Merc has a 4 stroke 115 that would work pretty well I think. That engine, and the Yamaha version of that same engine (yes, Yamaha built the power heads for Merc for a few years!) would be at the forefront of my searching. Those are at the top of the HP range for conventional 2 tube 'toons on our lake. There are some newer boats with w/bigger, but guessing there's bigger tubes involved, engine setbacks (extended transoms), and driver forward floor plans to get balance restored.

Honda 90's are so popular because they're at the top of a weight class/range in the Honda line up. To go with more power in the Honda line up, the weight takes a BIG jump to weights that will overwhelm a 24' toon. They're still 4 cylinders, but the displacement nearly doubles compared to the 90!

Point being, for optimal results, you need to do some homework prior to searching for your next engine. Makes no difference which manf. you study, you'll see that many times displacement stays the same across a few different horsepower engines, making weights for those engines nearly identical, then takes a big jump to get to the next one up, with a similar jump in weight. You want to stay just under those big weight/displacement gains to get max power with minimum weight. Your trouble to take the time to figure out where those breaks are at will pay off in spades.....

Caseyjoe

Seaman
That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks again Hicks! I asked the guy about the weight when I was talking to him about the 150. Told him the 225 worked good but was really heavy. He said the 225 was 500lbs and the 150 was just barely over 300. How light of a motor do you think I should be looking for? My insurance says that boat is rated at 150hp, 30mph, and 20 passengers.

Caseyjoe

Seaman
I haven't even looked at it yet. I'll try to get by there and check it out today and see what it's about.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Like I said my in laws had an 04 Bently 24ft with a 115 Mercury on it. It would move pretty good with say 4 to 6 people on it. I could still pull me out of the water on skis (at the time I was 200lb and I am 6'2") and knee board and easily tube behind it.

I was happy with the 115 so I am sure the 150 can only be better. Now if we had 12 people on the boat would that 115 still pull me out on skis? I dont know, I don't think so, but it easily would pull a tube. That really takes no power.

Caseyjoe

Seaman
Yeah a 4 stroke would be a good dream Hicks. I would love to have one since I like to putt around and from what I understand the 2 stroke needs opening up some to keep from fouling out. Those 4 strokes are way expensive though.

Caseyjoe

Seaman
Making the swap Friday. Ended up trading the 225 for the 150 and $900 and I keep my stainless prop. I'll let ya know how it works out. Also found a new obrien super screamer 2 person tube at gander mountain going out of business sale for 80 bucks. Seems like a good deal. Hope the 150 pulls it ok.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It will pull it fine. You might have to trade that prop for less pitch though

Caseyjoe

Seaman
I need tach advice. Should I be asking here or am I supposed to start a different thread?

ahicks

Captain
Yes, gotta watch the thread police. Might be worthy of a new topic. Sometimes though, it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission....