Ok Guys need help!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So we have hit somewhat of a road block on our restore. We fabbed up our engine mount but have not put the studs in place yet. We know that to adjust the up and down of the motor you need the alignment tool and adjust the front mount.

When we first started this restore we started because our motor mount had rotted away. PO did a hack repair, So we have no idea what the original looked like. Our question would be how do we figure out the left to right position of the front motor mount?

ddrieck

Re: Ok Guys need help!

I you have access to a chain hoist or something of similar nature you can dry fit the engine and take measurements as to where the mounts need to be. Just don't set the engine down fully since all that weight will damage hull. Just keep it suspend enough to get the measurements you need for the mounts.

thrillhouse700

yeah we are doing that, the problem is Im not sure as to where the engine should sit left to right.....

If I were to get new rear motor mounts and bolted them up would there be any left to right movement or play at the front of the engine or would there still be enough movement to get the motor mount placement incorrect.

Bondo

Staff member

the problem is Im not sure as to where the engine should sit left to right.....

Ayuh,... Ya gotta stuff the Alignment bar into it to determine Where the motor needs to sit...

erikgreen

Captain

You need the alignment bar to make sure you've got vertical alignment, but the motor mounts on the transom plate (assuming you've got a good transom) will show you exactly where the front mounts need to go. Two bolts inside rubber shock mounts, they don't allow left to right movement much.

You can measure from them, build a template of the engine footprint and check, or put the engine on a hoist, put the rear bolts in,and locate the mounting pads for the front. The last method is the most foolproof.

The other thing you could do is guesstimate where the mounts go and make them large enough to allow for some adjustment. I've even seen boats with a front mount the width of the hull, which made a nice reinforcement.

The vertical angle is trickier. I'd make the height of the fiberglass pads high enough that when you have the alignment bar in and the adjustable front motor legs in the middle of their range, the legs sit nicely on top of the fiberglass. That will give you adjustment range for later.

If you're good with math you can calculate all this based on measurements of your hull, the placement of the transom plate, and the manufacturer's measurements of the engine.

Erik

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you bolt the mounts to the motor with your studs connected to the mounts also...
Lower those into the boat,
Keep just enough weight on your hoist to not damage anything
align the drive, and mark the location of your stud portion?

I am sure your mounts have a small slot in them to allow for final fitment?

system-f

This is a repeat of what the others said, but we have he same motor and this is my plan.

As was said before:

1. Install transom assembly
2. Set engine on transom assembly, rear rubber shock mounts will not allow much side to side movement. (don't forget your washers)
3. set engine down, use alignment tool to align
4. mark where front mount should be. ( I already know where mine should be, so this step is for you)

I also don't plan on drilling my bolt holes for the front mount until the engine is down and aligned.

thrillhouse700

Ok Bond-o thank you, thats exactly what I needed to know.