OK... Did I do something wrong?

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
I warmed up the motor on regular fuel ( in a barrel, with fresh water from a hose keeping it topped off and fresh )... after a few minutes, I switched to about 1 gallon of gas with a whole 16 oz. of Seafoam and an extra 2 or 3 oz of oil. It began to smoke pretty good and I ran it for about 15 minutes or more at a pretty good speed... Well I ran out of gas. I took out the plugs and shot some deep creep in each cylinder and left it for an hour or so.... Got more gas and tried the same except only half a bottle of seafoam... While it was running and smoking up the neighbors... I shot deep creep into the carb... I could not get it to stall!... it would bog a bit but never got near a stall... Ran it for at least 15 minutes... smoke died down a bit. Shut it down and removed a plug... was a bit oily and I looked inside the cylinder and the piston head looked wet and black and not smooth...

What next? I ran out of deep creep but still have about half a bottle of Seafoam left...

Xcusme

Commander
Re: OK... Did I do something wrong?

Sounds OK, but, when you say "I warmed up the motor on regular fuel.... I hope you used Fuel MIX (gas and oil & 24:1)

Next you said: ..after a few minutes, I switched to about 1 gallon of gas with a whole 16 oz. of Seafoam and an extra 2 or 3 oz of oil.
Again, I hope you meant you used 1 gallon of fuel MIX with the 16 oz of Seafoam PLUS 2 or 3 oz of oil. It can make a difference...as posted, you'd be running at a 50:1 mix with added Seafoam.

For the decarb process, always use fuel mix (ratio for your model year motor) with Seafoam added in. Seafoam is not a substitute for the oil.

If I have this all wrong, I'll stand corrected, otherwise it sounds good. I usually do the decarb on the water, not in a barrel so I can run it like I stole it afterwards to blow it out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put new plugs in it an take it for a wide open spin around the lake. all sounds normal. told you it was going to smoke.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I used fuel mix...not straight gas! I use a 24:1 not 50:1... it is a 1957 35hp and I was told 50:1 was too rich... Sound right? I will tke it out tomorrow... and run it WOT. Thanks for the advice.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I too have never been able to get my motor to stall with the Seafoam in the carbs. I thought it was strange as well. I couldn't care less though. I decarbed most recently over the weekend and could not believe how smoothly my engine purred at a cruise. It was sweet! New boats don't sound that good.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

small point, but richness increases with more oil, so a 50:1 mixture is not as rich as 24:1.

Xcusme

Commander

Y... I was told 50:1 was too rich... Sound right?

Here's how I see it. The terms Lean and Rich reference the amount of oil in the gasoline.

Take 1 gallon of regular gasoline.

For a 50:1 mix....add 2.56 oz oil
For a 24:1 mix....add 5.33 oz oil

The 50:1 mix is leaner (less oil)
compared to
The 24:1 mix is richer (more oil)

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the clarity...
Makes perfect sense... Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As for your initial question of why you still have carbon on your pistons - it's been building up for over 50 years now. It'll take more than an afternoon to clean it up. I would do the treatment over again...
- Scott