Oiler Question 86 XR2 150

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1986 Mercury XR2 150, the oiler has been disconnected, and the engine is now premix. Now for the questions.

1.) What is the proper procedure for removing this oiler? as of now it has the hoses removed, but is not capped off at all. Isn't this the model of oiler with the plastic gear off of the crank? Running the gear dry cannot be good for it right?
2.) If left alone, will it cause one or two of the cylinders to run "lean"?
3.) Does it need to be capped off?
4.) Should I spray the housing full of oil so the gear is lubricated as it spins?
5.) Anything else I should know?

I have included an image of the engine, and the oiler, After i post the image I will explain more about the location of this oiler, and what your looking at.

DSC02622.jpg

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Oiler Question 86 XR2 150

Ok, when looking at the image...
The red cap in almost the center of the image is where the oiler was removed from the fuel line. Directly to the top right of the cap is the 1st open hole on the oiler. The second opening is Directly above the first. It looks like a green spec b/c there is some minor corrosion on the connector housing. Also the Oiler level (throttle responsive connection?) is zip tied in place to the outgoing fuel line.

Hope that describes what I'm trying to find out / accomplish.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think he is a merc man from way back, I believe he runs this motor on a boat like yours and may also know if the prop is ok too:)

Last edited:

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Hey

Jmartin helped me back awhile ago heres the info, It's was for a 1989 150 XR4

You need part number Plug off #43453 if it is available. Also screws are # 10-41506 and oring # 25-32509.

That retains the pump driveshaft bushing and plugs the hole where the pump mounts. Then remove the oil components and the warning module. You'll also need to remove the fitting that the oil tank pressure hose attaches to and plug the hole in the block.

Order three stickers (37-818029 1), one to mount near the fuel fitting on the motor, one for the dash, and one near the fuel fill fitting on the boat. They'll alert the operator that the gas needs to have oil added. One frequent problem we see here regards the infamous "brother-in-law" that forgets to add oil to the gas and roaches the motor.

You should probably replace the fuel lines where the fitting for the oil T's into the fuel line with a single piece of fuel line.

Heres mine

DSC00205.jpg

DamianJP

Last edited:

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just did this to my boat. My Merc dealer wasn't able to get the block off kit or the stickers anymore.

I ordered the block off kit from Pro-Marine. The total was about 15.00 if I remember right.

I went to the local sticker shop and had stickers made up, put them right where Jmartin recomended.

I also removed the oil lines/tanks/etc. Use a 3/4" brass NPT plug in the side of the block to take the check valve out. Motor looks so much cleaner with all of the stuff stripped out of there! I also re-did the fuel line to get rid of the T where you have a red cap, need a piece of 1/4" line about 12" long to loop it around and hook it up directly.

So much nicer running the boat with no warning alarms/worries now!!!!

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you for your time gentlemen! I will look into all of that, and post a picture of the finished product when I get done with it.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where does the o-ring go? Does it seal the cover plate only, or help hold the shaft? The shaft is run off of the crank so one has to asume it keeps turning or is it removed? Sheesh........what dumb questions........

Will have J post pic tomorrow of how we did it. There was only a gear in the pump. No sign of drive shaft. Looks to be a standard Mikuni oil pump. Had one on my 433 Yamaha:)
We fabricated an aluminum cover and gasket, and viola:rolleyes: Only took 4 hours:)
On the good side, Started on 4th rev:)

Last edited:

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where does the o-ring go? Does it seal the cover plate only, or help hold the shaft? The shaft is run off of the crank so one has to asume it keeps turning or is it removed? Sheesh........what dumb questions........

Will have J post pic tomorrow of how we did it. There was only a gear in the pump. No sign of drive shaft. Looks to be a standard Mikuni oil pump. Had one on my 433 Yamaha:)
We fabricated an aluminum cover and gasket, and viola:rolleyes: Only took 4 hours:)
On the good side, Started on 4th rev:)

The problem with just the cover is that there is a brass bushing on the crankshaft that the pump delete kit blocker holds into place so it doesn't ruin anything. Guys around here have said they don't come out, but I'd rather be safe then sorry....

The link above has some great pictures etc that will help you out.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I see the cover is actually a replacement oil shaft? I think we should oder the proper part as there are spinning pieces that need NOT intermingle with pistons, crank, crank housing ect. ect.
Whada u think J? maybe best not to start again till we got it in there

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We may need a thread for this, but what are the compression #?
We were going to check later tonight

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem with just the cover is that there is a brass bushing on the crankshaft that the pump delete kit blocker holds into place so it doesn't ruin anything. Guys around here have said they don't come out, but I'd rather be safe then sorry....

The link above has some great pictures etc that will help you out.
thanks for that mxzeatr

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the link, we NEED the pump block off kit.....