Oil

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Quick question and hoping it doesn't open a can of worms lol. So today I decided to check my oil levels on my High Profile Electric Shift sterndrive and my lower unit had a white colored oil come out where I turned screw. Is this bad to have this color oil meaning water is in it? If so does that mean I need to service unit for some kind of seal or something? I'm gonna tear it down soon to replace impeller and housing figured I ask about oil while I'm in there.

Keep in mind it shifts no problems into gear always has no grinding whatsoever nice and smooth.

When I drain it I could take photo but wanted to ask now instead of a few days from now and thought someone would know if this is normal for oil that may be old in a lower unit.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil

Just fill it with fresh type C and check it again after you have taken it out. Milky white is an indicator of some water but if it is not excessive then the lubricant can handle it. Marine lubes assume that there will be some small water intrusion and are formulated to disperse the water and keep on lubricating....up to a certain point.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't the lower unit use 80-90 or no? Could you tell me exactly what the lower unit should have and then what upper should have?

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Also if I fill it and come back and it is like that again then what will be my problem to look for?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Isn't the lower unit use 80-90 or no? Could you tell me exactly what the lower unit should have and then what upper should have?

The lower electric shift takes OMC type C, specifically designed for the electric shift. The upper and intermediate housing takes 80w-90 weight and the tilt housing takes 30w. By your description you just got a small amount of "white" fluid out of the lower. If that is the case and you do not know what is in it or when it was last changed and it only produces a small amount of milky fluid in the future, I would not get my panties in a wad over it. When you start getting tablespoons of water out of the drain plug then it is time to pressure test the drive and see where the leak is. It will either be where your shift cable enters the lower, around the shaft driving the lower unit, the prop shaft or the propshaft carrier. You won't know until a pressure test reveals it.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

No the white oil that came out had the consistency of oil and didn't appear to run quick like water would have not to mention no traces of water separating from oil when it drained out. So it wasn't clear if it was water or not.

The screw to check level of oil for upper & intermediate is the one near boot right? Then the the screw on top of the drive where the OMC letters are is for the tilt gear housing correct?

Then obviously the ones on lower Unit were clear to me which ones those were.

The reason I ask is I wasn't sure if Upper had two screws one for fill and one for vent just like lower unit?

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I don't mean to nuke this but wanted to make sure before I go screwing things up especially on a motor that is getting more and more obsolete.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

What is capacity for lower unit, upper and intermediate? Or no really idea just have to buy it and see?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

What is capacity for lower unit, upper and intermediate? Or no really idea just have to buy it and see?
buy a gallon of type C and fill it from the bottom til it starts to flow out the top plug. Buy a gallon of Marine or synthetic 75w-90 and fill the upper from the bottom up til it gets up to the mark on the dipstick, then check it again after you run it. The intermediate gets filled thru the top access, right up to the opening.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Intermediate doesn't have a drain though does it? Mine has oil so I'm not gonna change that. More concerned with upper and lower when I change my impeller. Thanks.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Intermediate doesn't have a drain though does it? Mine has oil so I'm not gonna change that. More concerned with upper and lower when I change my impeller. Thanks.

Starting with the hydro-mechanical drive, they did have a drain, but the electric shift IH, like mine, did not. You have to suck the oil out of yours and considering it's age, if it was never changed, it wouldn't hurt to do it. I have a sucker that kinda of looks like a lube gun. It has a t-handle to draw back with a 3/8" vinyl hose on the suction end.

I also tapped the bottom of my tilt housing and ran a stainless steel 1/8" pipe plug into the hole. Just don't over drive the tap (like I did) making the hole a little too big. I have to use a lot of teflon tape to make the plug snug. This is great because you always get water in the tilt housing and it is so much easier to drain with the plug. You never have to remove the cover and destroy the gaskets (which double as necessary shims). Another issue with the tilt housing filling with water is that it pushes the oil up the drive shaft and out into the tilt motor,

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal

Thanks for this information and well informative. I want to post the video of my boat running at the launch along with gauges showing #'s after about 25 minutes running. Was having technical issues at work so I will do it tonight when I get home.

I managed to put a load on it as much as I could without running risk of jumping boat up and over my bow bumper and into the bed of my F350 Dually lol.

My gauges read 155 for temperature and 22 for oil pressure. I had the RPM's up to 3500 for few moments and the numbers did not change.

In a week I will have boat cleared to take it for its first voyage not far but outside wake zone to see how things go. First thing is first I wanted to make sure Vessel assist was ordered, and I have a few minor details to scrub up.

I will attempt to post video and pictures later tonight.

Oh quick question for exhaust hoses do you guys prefer to use the T-Clamps instead of regular hose clamps? Wanted to know what is really the pro's and con's to both if any?

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

With everything working right it will take a while to get the water temp up to the thermostat rating. I don't remember what engine you have so I have no comment on the oil pressure. My 302/5.0 Ford roller motor runs at about 60 psi when up to thermostat temp. It might drop a little lower when the oil gets good and hot but that takes a while.

All my rubber exhaust boots are held on by OEM hose clamps.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal,

My inboard motor is a GM350, my sterndrive is obviously OMC electric shift. My temps were up to 155 degrees after about 25-30 minutes running so the motor wouldn't be up to temp by then? Thats a small block motor I would think for sure in 30 minutes it would be warm :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have 22 psi oil pressure at 3500 rpm you are looking at an engine that is getting tired but may run a long time. Typical is 10 psi per 1000 rpm on a small block chevy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal, Thats a small block motor I would think for sure in 30 minutes it would be warm :)

Yeah, it would be up to thermostat temperature by them. I just got done running mine in the drive and it took about 15 minutes, on the flush fitting, at about 2k rpm, to get up to the 180? of my stat. If you have a 160 is degree thermostat that would be about right. I don't remember whether we talked thermostat before.

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

If you have 22 psi oil pressure at 3500 rpm you are looking at an engine that is getting tired but may run a long time. Typical is 10 psi per 1000 rpm on a small block chevy.

Silver

So here is my question if they performed and by they I mean previous owner a rebuild would that indicate another issue causing my lower oil pressure? Could the oil sump be bad? Or bad cylinder walls that are getting worn? If pistons and rings are essentially brand new suppose it could mean a number of things. Camshaft? I don't know at this point just wanted to make sure my engine wasn't gonna go dead on me in a year with 22psi I will know for sure when I get it off trailer and run it open water if numbers change.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

IMG_0972.jpgIMG_9748.jpgIMG_7488.jpgIMG_3603.jpgIMG_2922.jpg

Here are a few photos of my setup! More to follow along with that video of engine running. Plus I can send a full shot of boat too.