oil

BillP

Captain
Re: oil

Hasbeen, I think you are an Amsoil rep with comments like that. They are the ONLY oil reps I see who continually push their product on message boards like this one. So, comparing them to the other groups is not out of line or disrespectful. They are all multi level sales organizations.<br /><br />Also, just to give credit where due, the long disertation about oil given a few messages above is copied word for word from Pensoil's advertising. :D

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

i610288 <br /><br />That'll teach ya to ask such a complpex question.... :D :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think I'll stick with dino for now This is way to confusing and trying to get a straight answer is crazy. I had also thought about going to the Ram oil. But, I may also wait on that. Been running Dino for many, many years and no problems. So I guess that counts for something. At least I know it works!

walleyehed

Admiral

Rick, about 3 or 4 months ago there was a grand topic on 2-stroke oils and my input, just like everyone else's, was individual opion.<br />I went one step farther and agreed to try 1 gallon of wally SuperTech in my 97'crossflow 115.<br />I only had about 45 hours on it after purchasing and rebuilding the powerhead.<br />Anyway, I had run only XD-25 J/E in it prior to this point. The first thing I noticed with the SuperTech was lots of residual on the mid-section. The second item to show was idle became rougher than usuall. I took compression readings after every 4-5hrs of WOT time and noticed no drop, or any trend there, but as I continued, the idle got to a point where I had to occasionally restart, something I had never done in the first 45hrs of operation. At this point, I decided to stop the test of SuperTech and go back to XD-25. It took 18-20gallons of gas, but I got my idle back and it didn't look like you drained the oil from your car on the mid section after setting for a day. Through-out the remainder of the next gallon of XD-25, I decided to try Ficht Ram, which has a higher content of synthetics than the XD-25. There was some question as to whether or not the Ficht oil could be used in 50:1 applications, and is NOW printed as such to be used in either.<br /> I've only got about 12 hrs of time on it after starting the Ficht oil, and I must say, the plugs ARE slightly cleaner. I'm still taking comp readings every 5 hrs., and I use only 1 ramp at my lake just for the purpose of staying consistant.<br />I do believe the synthetics offer protection dino oils can't, but whether they are "required" or not-I don't think so.....for the average guy.<br />I have a very heavy hand when running, and find it hard to stay below 5200-5500R's even cruising...I like the speed, and I think maybe the synthetics are much better suited to both ENDS of the spectrum, either slow-trolling for many hours, or WOT for extended periods. The average boater probably runs most of his time "between" the extremes, and the std. dino's are OK.<br />I really think the synthetics have a place in the boating world other than racing, and it's being proven in longevity of the engines running it, the sparkplugs, the lack of messy residual oil, and the satisfied people that are running it. ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Walleyehed is right on here, you are making it difficult Yourself!<br /><br />Pick something you are comfortable with and run it! The Ram oil is good! Can you do better?? Yes, but that is up to you! Read through the posts again and then choose! You cant choose something that is going to harm your engine, But you can choose something that will be better for it in the long run! Youve got some good advice here, dont throw it all out! If you are confused, ask another question, we will help you through it!<br /><br />LubeDude