Oil Question

Has anyone ever used the Amsoil products? I have read some of the literature and I am wondering if the oil will be any help for my 1993 200 EFI Merc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil Question

Moving to General Outboard

Clams Canino

Commander

"Help?" It won't fix what aint broken, but it does offer superior protection. IMHO the Pennzoil Synthetic blend is "good enough" but the full synthetic Amsoil is better, if you wanna spend the dough.<br /><br />-W

walleyehed

Admiral

Yes, I use Amsoil, as do several others here, and it's a great oil, but I'm with clams here as far as "what are you trying to help?"

LubeDude

Admiral

I suppose everyone has been wondering when I would show up, but Im with the others. Is there some problem or are you just looking for protection?<br /><br />Your engine will like it, It will run much cleaner, no plug fowling, much less smoking. the best anti scuff protection you can get. Use the gear lube in your lower unit also.

I am sorry for not being more specific, but the engine is in fine shape and it doesn't have any problems. I was only wondering about the performance of the oil overall. I didnt want to buy something that was going to harm my motor. I am currently using the Quicksilver brand (non-synthetic). Could I expect any performance improvement? Also would I need to empty the oil tank or could I mix the two together. The Quicksilver is only about $16.00 a gallon, and I can get the Amsoil for $20.00, so if it is a quality product I was going to try it.<br /><br />Thanks for any and all suggestions, <br />BK

LubeDude

Admiral

You may notice a slight performance increase, donent expect a miracle though!

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by BlackKnight755:<br /> The Quicksilver is only about $16.00 a gallon, and I can get the Amsoil for $20.00, so if it is a quality product I was going to try it.<br /><br />Thanks for any and all suggestions, <br />BK
Note that the Pennzoil synthetic blend sold at Wal-Mart for $9 a gallon falls in between the Quicksilver and the Amsoil for quality.

Thanks but no thanks Clams... I had a real bad experience with Penzoil in a vehicle some years back, and I wouldnt want to chance anything with my boat. I know the comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, but I think I'll just stay away from it anyway.<br /><br />Also ever heard "you get what you pay for"... 'nuff said.<br />BK

LubeDude

Admiral

Blackknight:<br /><br />I cant say that I blaim you because of your experience, but the issues Penzoil had in the past is just that, "in the past"!<br /><br />The Penzoil blend 2cycle oil is a decent oil! And better than any conventional oil!

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by BlackKnight755:<br />I know the comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, but I think I'll just stay away from it anyway.<br /><br />Also ever heard "you get what you pay for"... 'nuff said.<br />BK
It's more like comparing apples and hammers. :D And as far as getting what you pay for, 1/2 of the cost of the Mercury oil is for the name "branding". The Pennziol Synthetic Blend sits on the "food chain" UNDER the Amsoil and OVER the Merc oil - regardless of cost.<br /><br />-W

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amsoil has new oils out that will replace the current 2-stroke lineup, some are for outboards and some are for wedwackers. I use it in my Merc and all my vehicles.