Oil Pump on 2004 F150 Yamaha

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I noticed some oil that had dripped down the outside of the leg and to the skeg, and after some investigation and cleaning found that it came from the seal on the bottom of the oil pump. There is a small drop that collects after a period of time on the seal so I'm guessing its hooped. Now, according to my manual I have to actually pull the powerhead right out of the cowling to get at the oil pump. There is only 550 hrs on the motor so my question is, is there any other spot on that end of the motor that could be leaking oil other than the oil pump?? Has anyone removed their pump, any problems or suggestions? I plan on just replacing the entire pump, I priced out all the parts that go into it and for a few more bucks I can just replace the entire unit and be done with it. The pump in the States is about $200 cheaper than here in Canada so I'll order it up through them and pick it up across the border on our yearly vacation down there. Sherm

Capt Ken

Commander
It's not the oil pump, it's the crankshaft seal. It's a common problem in those years due to a softer metal. You will need to pull the power head, remove the oil pump and install the speedy sleeve kit that Yamaha has for that fix. Most owners elect to replace the oil pump while it's off.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Capt. Ken, soooooooooooooo, looking at the diagrams it shows a total of 4 seals from the bottom of the oil pump to the other side of it, all of them part of the oil pump. I'm assuming these are the seals your referring to as I don't see a separate crankshaft seal outside of that pump....Sherm

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The seal being referred to is the seal that interfaces with the crankshaft. Over time the seal will wear groove into the crankshaft. The crank turns, the seal does not, and thus the wear occurs. Yes, rubber wears into the steel.

The Speedy Sleeve is a stainless steel wear strip that is applied to the crankshaft. The seal then interfaces with a smooth stainless surface that is less prone to wear.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so the Speedy Sleeve just slips over the end of the crankshaft, so then its the top seal that's in the oil pump that seals off the engine block itself from the oil coming out, or is there a separate crankshaft seal?....Sherm

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone have the Speedy Sleeve part number for this motor? I went through Yamaha "up here" in Canada and they said they just replace the parts rather than use a Speedy Sleeve. When I mentioned that it was the crankshaft they had to replace they just came up with a "duh ??"....Sherm

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
It is MAR-CRKSL-VE-00.

Yamaha Canada is less useful that tits on a boar hog.

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Appreciate that boscoe99, any particular place you can get that, NAPA or something like that? Sherm

Capt Ken

Commander
It's going to be on a mid 2000 dealer hot sheet. It will take some digging but a dealer can call Yamaha tech and get it quickly.