Oil Pickup tube? F225 Yamaha

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my powerhead of my F225 Yamaha today and was surprised to see that there is no oil pick up tube..

How does the oil get picked up from the oil pan to the motor?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Pickup tube? F225 Yamaha

its bolted under the powerhead adapter plate,which you will most likly have apart sooner or later.
now,best I recall, you will need to remove the upper and lower motor mount nuts and remove the midsection to access the steering shaft.

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well have it all apart but now the nightmare can not get the steering arm/shaft out from the steering tube! I have been at it all day!
Even used a jack to put preasure on the arm from underside and I am jacking the baot off the trailer and was only able to move the arm about 4 inches out.

It's really frozen in there.. I am stuck big time, and a new arm and tilt bracket is around $1400 !!!

boatguy823

Petty Officer 3rd Class

never mind....had to go find all your other posts and read them..........I assume you have taken the snap ring off the bottom of the shaft.....try some heat and penetrating oil like sili kroil and a lot of patience

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No Sorry
The whole thing started when the lower steering arm seal blew out when I was greasing the arm.. The only way to get at the upper motor mount bolts is to remove the power head..
All of this just for that one o-ring seal!!

boatguy823

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see never had to get one apart but still try the heat and oil and keep working at it...salt water engine?

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes salt engine, and I have never been able to get grease to the upper part of the arm for years..

boatguy823

Petty Officer 3rd Class

couple other suggestions you might want to try.....drill a couple holes at the top (one on each side) and take a syringe filled with on off bottom cleaner and shoot it in there leave it sit and repeat a few times. It may eat the salt away enough to get the arm out. If its dried grease then do the same thing except use engine degreaser or engine tuner. Not sure what else to try right now but if I think of anything else I'll post it. Good luck with it.

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all ..

I did drill a hole at the top of the tube and tapped a grease fitting in there.
I could jus t pull the grease fitting and fill it up with "PB Blaster"
But brake cleaan or degreaser is a good idea...