Oil on stern of 89 mercruiser 3.0

Jake87

Cadet
I'm looking at buying a 89 chaparral 178xl with the original mercruiser 3.0L. I tested drove it and it sounded nice and performed fine. When we pulled it out of the water from the test drive there was an oily residue on the starboard side of the stern. Now this would be my first boat and first time in an I/O style. It's four-stroke, obviously I don't know if it's normal. Where would the oil be coming from? The seller is very honest and original owner. He's very meticulous about cleaning the boat and has a stack of paperwork of maintenance. Is this normal?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
was oil inside or outside? if it was outside it could be anything inside it might have blow by that's leaking down if engine has excessive blowby oil will even come out of dipstick outside it would be a tuff guess.

Jake87

Cadet
It was outside. We were only on the water for 30 minuets so I thought it was kind of strange. He didn't think anything of it and said he wipes it down every time.

Jake87

Cadet
Is it something I should be concerned about? Anything I should check before I purchase? Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Depends, I would atleast have the shop remove the drive for inspection. Could have a leaking upper carrier seal and if you lose the oil, you lose the drive. Visable oil on the ouside of a drive is a leak that needs to be fixed.

Jake87

Cadet
Okay I'll have to look into it. I don't want to buy a project and that's what this may be.

Jake87

Cadet
I spoke more with the current owner and he said it has always gotten residue at that marina because the launch is way in the back and the low rpm causes the engine to burn rich and the soot is what sticks to the stern. Sounds right to me. I'll give an update when I get it.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
That is a ridiculous excuse. I have never heard of anything like that!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That is a ridiculous excuse. I have never heard of anything like that!

+1 on wahllejim's post. (and +++1 on you for posting these great questions before buying!!!)

The engine in that boat is basically the same as a small pickup motor (although the 3.0L was never used in automotive or pickup markets, it is an industrial motor, but would work fine in a small pickup) Point is, it is a very standard gas motor and it can run at idle all day long - if in good shape will put out just as much oily residue as your car or pickup does when you leave it idling - meaning none. If it is worn out, all bets are off.

I would test drive the boat again before making a purchase decision and be for sure and certain that no oil is coming out of the outdrive anywhere. Not out of weep holes, not out of exhaust at the prop or the bottom of the gimbal housing (there are two exhaust bypass ports on bottom of housing at the transom so at idle there is little or no back pressure on the exhaust) You should see no oil anywhere. Any excuses by the owner is going to be BS - honest or not.

If there is oil, this means either A) the engine is worn out and passing oil out the exhaust, or B) the hydraulic trim system leaks, or C) (most likely) the outdrive needs seals and or whatever.

An '89 also needs the stringers and transom wood very carefully looked at to make sure it isn't rotten. (newer boats too) Stick your head in there and poke around. Should be solid as a rock. If was me, and there was any doubt about the wood, I would want core samples. Many owners don't want you drilling holes, so often you gotta do your best with eyes and flashlight. If in doubt, pass it by unless you like working on your boat - a lot.

Good luck!

Rick

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is it oil, or is it exhaust soot? Big difference! One is a warning flag, one is normal, especially if the boat has a notched transom.

Jake87

Cadet
Thanks Rick, Wahlejim, and Spoilsofwar, I'm going to poke around more before I make a final purchase. This is my first boat besides a glorified aluminum row boat. I'll keep you updated. Next chance I have to look is after labor day.

Jake87

Cadet
UPDATE: I purchased the boat and it ended up having a misfire. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, and points. It ran smoother but wasn't right. It would stall at idle and not get past 3500 rpm. Ended up being off time. It now runs great, maybe to good. I stripped the bushing on my prop (if that's what you call it) the shaft spins free without spinning the prop. It came with the original aluminum one. Any advise on what to do with the old stainless steel prop? Is it an easy fix?

Bondo

Staff member
I stripped the bushing on my prop (if that's what you call it) the shaft spins free without spinning the prop. It came with the original aluminum one. Any advise on what to do with the old stainless steel prop? Is it an easy fix?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If it's a pressed in rubber hub, a Prop Shop can rebuild it for ya,...

If it's a plastic Flo-torque, you can replace the hub yerself,.....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Congrats on the new boat. Post the numbers off your prop, and or pics. Someone here will know what hub to get.

Rick

Jake87

Cadet
It's not the prop....engine coupler. Any advice on that topic. 3.0 alpha 1

Alumarine

Captain
It's not the prop....engine coupler. Any advice on that topic. 3.0 alpha 1

You'll have to remove the drive, pull the engine and replace the coupler.
Not a hard job. Most difficult part is find getting the hoist high enough.
You will need an alignment tool to line everything up.

Jake87

Cadet
Does anyone know where I can get a manual for an 88 89 mercruiser 3.0. Serial number 0C521117