Oil Leak

Chemdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone. I have a problem here that I caused, and can't figure out how to fix. I didn't realize that when I changed the oil on my mercruiser 3.0 that I should have used a pump to pull the oil out of the dipstick. So I had a heck of a time getting the drain plug out of the oil pan and changing it from the bilge. Now I have a problem with oil leaking from the drain plug. I have tried using aviation permatex, I've tried making a rubber gasket, etc... And it's still leaking. I know it's coming from there, because now that I pulled my boat out of storage, the pan under the drain plug has a lot of oil in it, and it's all wet around the drain plug. What ideas does everyone have to reseal this thing?

Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello Everyone. I have a problem here that I caused, and can't figure out how to fix. I didn't realize that when I changed the oil on my mercruiser 3.0 that I should have used a pump to pull the oil out of the dipstick. So I had a heck of a time getting the drain plug out of the oil pan and changing it from the bilge. Now I have a problem with oil leaking from the drain plug. I have tried using aviation permatex, I've tried making a rubber gasket, etc... And it's still leaking. I know it's coming from there, because now that I pulled my boat out of storage, the pan under the drain plug has a lot of oil in it, and it's all wet around the drain plug. What ideas does everyone have to reseal this thing?

Thanks in advance.

Your probably running into an issue of oil in the plug area, and when you use any adhesive it comes in contact with the oil and doesn't adhere. Suggest drain the oil over night. Then start getting all the oil out from behind the drain hole. Take something like paper towels and swab it out. Once you can get no more oil, then use acetone to clean both the plug and hole. Then use JB Weld on plug and hole, install the plug and just snug do not over tighten and let sit over night.

Last edited: