oil injection disconnection

remus

Cadet
I have a 1987 2.7 litre OMC seadrive on a 24' Sportcraft. The motor has not been cranked in 4 yrs. I have cleaned the carburators and am planning on cranking the engine on an alternate gas tank due to the 118 gal. under-deck tank I'm sure has to be cleaned before use. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to disconnect the oil injection and use a 50:1 oil/gas mix in the alternate tank to make sure it gets oil when I crank it for the first time. I guess this wouldn't be necessary if I could verify that the oil injection was working but I don't know how to do that. Is there a way to check it? If not, how do I disconnect the oil injection? Thanks for any help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil injection disconnection

Howdy, remus.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Don't disconnect the VRO. Just run her on 50:1 plus the VRO and watch the level in the oil tank. If the VRO is working the level will go down.<br /><br />50:1 plus the VRO will not harm your engine, just add smoke. Over a long time it will speed up carbon accumulation and maybe foul your plugs, but not for a relatively short test period.<br /><br />If you really want to disconnect the VRO, check out the Engine FAQ section for good advice.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

remus

Cadet
Re: oil injection disconnection

Thaks JB. I'm not dead set on disconnecting VRO. Just did't want to smoke a piston, etc. That sounds good to me. I'll just let her idle and watch the oil tank. Thanks for your help, you guys are doing a good thing.