oil injected synthetics/ veriable mix ratio motors

lewkster

Seaman
My question is directed specifically towards varible injected motors. Mine is a 40 nissan with 50/1 at wot and 120/1 at idle. Which synthetic would work best this application. Alot of trolling time general fishing use.<br /> Side note as I read: If my motor sits 2 weeks between uses will the synthetic oil protect it enough between uses? <br /> Ice off the lakes around here soon, can't wait to get going!

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: oil injected synthetics/ veriable mix ratio motors

Use any synthetic that you choose that is ment for injector systems. The synthetics will protect just fine, some better than others!

BillP

Captain

lewkster,<br />There IS a difference in corrosion protection between oils. Some leave a longer lasting film. I did a backyard test by dipping pieces of steel angle iron in gas mixed at 50:1 with two brands of ob petroleum oils and did the same with two brands of high end name brand synthetics. I hung them outside and watched...I'm in Florida so the process worked quickly. To be totally unbiased here I won't say what the results were but one type was superior to the other in terms of preventing rust the longest time...2X. Both types lasted well beyond 2 weeks. This is an easy test to do and will remove any doubt or conflicting info you may read on message boards.

LubeDude

Admiral

BillP: Im curious how you went about doing this, Did you start buy grinding down to bare metal?<br /><br />Im going to do this same test, and I Will post the results! I live here on the Oregon coast, so they will get there fare share of salt air.<br /><br />The products tested will be:<br /><br />Merc oil<br /><br />Evenrude oil<br /> <br />WallMart oil<br /><br />Penzoil full synthetic<br /><br />Amsoil 100:1 Full Synthetic<br /><br />I will be unbiased in my report, even if the Amsoil performs badly!

BillP

Captain

I cut 2.25 x 2.25 approx 6"L steel angle iron and brushed it to bare metal with my grinder. I mixed a sample of gas/oil for each brand at 50:1, dipped them and hung them outside under a pole barn where rain wouldn't wash them off. Humidity here is normally 90+% and it gets dripping wet almost every day in the summer. The temp and dewpoints being on a 1-3 spread many mornings. Fog happens in this spread. You are way wetter out in Oregon...one of my brothers live in Portland.<br /><br />The ob oils were J&E and Havoline...TCW-III and the synthetics (Bel-Ray and McCollough Premium)were just synthetics without the certification. The McCollough was noted for small air cooled engines. I still use both in my lawn gear. I suppose the newer marine synthetics may have better corrosion resistance and I may test the Pennsoil next time around.