Oil in the hob of my prop

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 1999, 9.9 Mariner Outboard, and when i set it on the stand after using it, i noticed that there was a lot of what looked like gear oil in the hub of the prop. When i pulled the drain plugs for the lower unit I noticed that there was not much oil left, but there was no water in there either. I was wondering if the seal around the prop shaft is wore, or what happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated....<br /><br />Belchy

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil in the hob of my prop

You really need to pull the vent plug also to have the oil come out.<br /><br />It may be best for you to see if you can change and refill the oil. Then see it it just runs back out the shaft and seal areas.<br /><br />If all looks good, take it out for a run. Come back in and let it sit for a day and do the change and fill again noting the quantity and quality of the fluids that come out.<br /><br />Beyond that, may two stroke motors will after use drool some unburnt fuel oil mix that may collect in the midsection after periods of running at idle, or less than hard fast operation. Some much more, and some not nearly at all.

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil in the hob of my prop

Ya, the unburnt fuel was the answer, figured that out today after changing the oil and testing it again. Its a fair amount of oil, but the mixture was a little rich this time, and the plugs need to be changed, so I am gonna get some new fuel and new plugs and see what happens...<br /><br />Thanks for the advice..<br /><br />Belchy