oil from the prop

tav1

Cadet
i put away my 7.5 2 stroke outboard for the winter and noticed a oily wet spot on the floor, should i be worried and if so what could the problem be?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: oil from the prop

i put away my 7.5 2 stroke outboard for the winter and noticed a oily wet spot on the floor, should i be worried and if so what could the problem be?

big spot?

the premixed fuel hanging out in the fuel lines could have dripped there way onto the floor. it would leave a small stain.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

See what kind of oil it is. If it is lower unit oil, you could have a problem. Most likely it is unburned fuel mix that is making its way down the exhaust. If you fogged your engine, there is a lot of unburned fuel mix and oil. Gravity makes it go down and come out down by the prop or relief hole near the cavitation plate.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the prop off and look for oil leaking around the prop shaft seal,most likley it's unburnt premix running down.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Smell the oil. If it is black gungy and smells burnt or of gasoline or exhaust fumes it is almost ceratinly just partly burnt oil from the fuel as said already.

If it has the unmistakable smell of gear oil then that is probably what its is and you should be checking the gear case for water ingress ... but you changed the oil as part of the servicing before you put it away for the winter .. didn't you,

Read THIS ITEM from the Engine FAQs board

If you had made a decent job of fogging the engine before you stored it for the winter there would be more than "a spot". I always stand mine over an old baking tin from the kitchen so as not to make a mess on the floor.