oil consumtion on a rebuit 5.7

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
should thier be loss of oil on a rebuilt 5.7 engine 1989.could it be blowing by as it only has between 5-10 hours on it
???

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil consumtion on a rebuit 5.7

All engines consume oil, It's just the amount that varies!! New engines will consume more as the rings and cylinder bore are getting to know each other.
You really need to tell us how much oil you are loosing before we can give an answer, but there is always a wide variance on oil consumption, but you would normally expect it to be very low (ie. not noticable between oil changes)..

delsol

yes i think its to much about 2 qts on a new rebuilt. no leaks, while starting it blows blue smoke while cold. if i had to guess it has less then 8 hours on the motor
bob

delsol

is it possible that i got no windage tray as the dealer swapped motors and left it out..on the old motor and never gave me or sold me one. would this not make me burn more oil.as the oil get pushed to the crank..i got new marine pan , but i would bet no tray.
bob

John_S

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't think it would be caused by windage tray, since it is cold engine related. If you were getting it on tight turns and pounding waves, maybe.

delsol

imported john, i am using alot of oil running with less then 8 hours on it.
bob

John_S

Rear Admiral

If you paid for someone to do the rebuild than its time to call them, otherwise start testing/evaluating: read plugs (which cyls are burning oil), compression and leakdown, vacuum, etc.

delsol

i will check plugs today. do compression.how do i check vacumn i got the gague. leakdown i need air presure right???.my season's almost over so . i want to check these things first
bob

delsol

how do i check vacumn , how to do leakdown test

MikDee

Banned

If I remember correctly, a windage tray is only useful above 5000rpm, or 6000rpm? to keep oil in the pan, you really don't need one. But, if it's only smoking cold, it might be the valve guide seals, on a small block chevy, they are only small o-rings from the factory on cars, hardly worth putting on, they disintegrate in no time! Boats, and Pontiac motors, use an umbrella style seal, that fit on the Chevy motors, there probably is an OMC, and a Mercruiser part # for them but I don't know what it is? You can buy them over the counter at a good auto supply store, they are made by Fel pro also, but I don't know the part # for them either, just ask for Pontiac V8 stock valve guide seals. If this is your problem?, that is the cure! Your mechanic should have put the right ones on, then it might be something else.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

delsol, the next investment you should make for that boat is a For Sale sign. That said did you not just do a compression check on that engine when you were chasing a valve train problem?? FWIW blue smoke on start up usually indicates bad valve guides and or seals.

delsol

limited i agree as i have had no luck with this boat

(next investment you should make for that boat is a For Sale sign.)
bob