Oil Bottle Location

spargs

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have almost finished rebuilding my 16 foot boat and have a merc 135hp v6 black max on the end of it! Its a 91 model and i was interested to see whether its ok to remote mount the oil reservior in the bow of the boat. There is minimal room in the stern. Will this be ok?

Nick

gss036

Commander
Re: Oil Bottle Location

I would suggest that you install it as close as possible to the transom and engine. The oil injection system is pressure fed from the engine to the oil tank in the boat, then to the tank under the cowling and then gravity fed to the oil pump on the engine which will pump it into the fuel system to mix it. The shorter the distance the better.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was interested to see whether its ok to remote mount the oil reservior in the bow of the boat.
Of course, getting an answer from someone that has actually done this successfully (or unsuccessfully) would be a good source for an answer. I have never done this myself, but these are my thoughts anyways....

I would be sure to confirm that the oil injection system was working OK afterwards. Primarily, I would confirm that the reservoir oil tank under the cowl remains full of oil when the motor is running and that air is not entering the reservoir tank. If the reservoir tank remains full of oil, then I would conclude that the oil injection system was not affected by the remote tank location. Also, I would temporarily hook up the remote tank for a while to see if this is happening, before doing a permanent installation of the remote tank at the bow. Also, if you want to be extra sure the system is working OK, the shop manual has instructions for testing the output from the oil pump when the motor is running.

I think the main uncertainty is whether the air pressure in the remote tank will be strong enough to push the oil from the remote tank to the motor's reserve tank though the extra long hose, without a vacuum occurring in this hose. A vacuum will occur if the oil pump sucks oil from the reservoir tank faster than can be fed from the remote tank. Such a vacuum would cause air to enter the system through a 2 psi check valve (#5 on the linked diagram below) causing a major failure in the oil injection. Not a good thing.

Others on the forum may have additional or better suggestions.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html

gss036

Commander

I agree with eveything you have said here, you have given this some thought.