Oil Alarm Woes......1987 150HP v6 BlackMax

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Oil Alarm Woes......1987 150HP v6 BlackMax

Ya done good. The small module is he voltage regulator.. First time I ever saw one unmelted:).

Trace the wiring back on the advance module, disconnect it and remove it.

Remove the oil pump and the long driven gear below it.

Remove the oil pump linkage from the carb linkage.

Disconnect and remove the rotational sensor.

Temp switches have a tan/blue wire only but it is covered with shrink tube. Its the black wire in your terminal block pic. Once you get the alarm and advance modules disconnected there may or may not be any wires left other than the black one. If that's the case, find the tan/blue wire comming out of the harness and hook it up on the same wire as the black at the terminal. Remember, that black wire is really tan/blue.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya done good. The small module is he voltage regulator.. First time I ever saw one unmelted:).

Trace the wiring back on the advance module, disconnect it and remove it.

Remove the oil pump and the long driven gear below it.

Remove the oil pump linkage from the carb linkage.

Disconnect and remove the rotational sensor.

Temp switches have a tan/blue wire only but it is covered with shrink tube. Its the black wire in your terminal block pic. Once you get the alarm and advance modules disconnected there may or may not be any wires left other than the black one. If that's the case, find the tan/blue wire comming out of the harness and hook it up on the same wire as the black at the terminal. Remember, that black wire is really tan/blue.

So once I remove the advance modual, I need to bump the WOT timing to 23 degrees correct? I remove every associated wire with that right? There is one jumping from one switchbox to the other, so I'll have empty poles on the switchbox? I'm assuming thats fine because its just drawing power off the box?

I guess I'm confused as to the tan/blue, perhaps its a WHITE/BLUE wire that runs all alone up to the dash, its for the temperature gauge. I have yet to see a tan/blue, but I will look when I disconnect everything else I guess!

Seems like I've got a plan now. I just need to call my merc dealer and have them order the blocker peice (Long black piece) and an O-ring to go on it. I'll also get the stickers that John reccomends to everyone doing this mod, thats a great idea!!!! I can find the brass plug anywhere I'm assuming, then I just need a foot of fuel line to get rid of the T in that. I'm also assuming I can just unbolt the oil tanks and remove the two big lines from the boat tank as well?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So once I remove the advance modual, I need to bump the WOT timing to 23 degrees correct? I remove every associated wire with that right? There is one jumping from one switchbox to the other, so I'll have empty poles on the switchbox? I'm assuming thats fine because its just drawing power off the box?

I guess I'm confused as to the tan/blue, perhaps its a WHITE/BLUE wire that runs all alone up to the dash, its for the temperature gauge. I have yet to see a tan/blue, but I will look when I disconnect everything else I guess!

Seems like I've got a plan now. I just need to call my merc dealer and have them order the blocker peice (Long black piece) and an O-ring to go on it. I'll also get the stickers that John reccomends to everyone doing this mod, thats a great idea!!!! I can find the brass plug anywhere I'm assuming, then I just need a foot of fuel line to get rid of the T in that. I'm also assuming I can just unbolt the oil tanks and remove the two big lines from the boat tank as well?

Your going to leave the jumper on the first (left terminal of the switch boxes. This ties the two bias circuits together. You can make a new jumper if you want but it has to be there.

The rest of your plan sounds solid.. There is a tan wire on the outside of the harness that connects to your temp gauge and sender under #2 cylinder. The temp alarm switch is the one under #1 cylinder and it should connect to the tan/blue that just ends up under your dash connected to a small buzzer/style horn. Colors can fade over time but you should be able to identify it that way.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. I'll leave the jumper. I'll just remove the white/black wire off the switch box from the advance modual.

I'm not sure where that buzzer is, sounds just like the oil alarm buzzer but its solid. I checked its operation by grounding it where the tan wires from the alarm modual join together. (In the picture above) I should just be able to remove the tan wire to the alarm modual and leave the other two hooked up for it being operational? My temp gauge wire definatley has a blue strip around it, I'm thinking its white, but sure looks tan where its not faded (with the blue stripe of course). Its raining now, so I won't be able to look at it all until Friday. Gotta leave for work in the morning. :(

Thanks for all of your help. I'll def. have questions before then I am sure, thanks for your help.

-Eric

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So these are the 4 things I'll need right? 2 screws (Should be able to use the existing ones????) 1-Oring and 1-Block off plate.

Why is it so long? I see on other motors its just a plate, does this just fill the void where the pump drive shaft is already?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So these are the 4 things I'll need right? 2 screws (Should be able to use the existing ones????) 1-Oring and 1-Block off plate.

Why is it so long? I see on other motors its just a plate, does this just fill the void where the pump drive shaft is already?

It's long when it's done correctly without tearing the engine down. Theres a bronze bushing at the bottom of #2 cylinder. The tip of the filler body goes into it and keeps if from comming out. I've never seen one come out but apparently they do so the long insert came to be. It also helps to take up some of space that cylinder gains if you just pull the gear. The cylinder is lazy to begin with and without the filler it would be even worse.

That looks like all you'll need to get the job done right.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent info. Since I'm a newbie and don't know a thing, I like to ask a lot of questions. I sure wish I could find an affordable manual for this thing.

I really would like you thank you and Jmartin for all the help in this thread. I'll get the parts comming, and hopefully be on the water next weekend weather permitting!

THANKS!

-Eric

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/4594105-mercury-outboard-repair-manual-1965-1989--download

This one might work. Look around on that site. I've downloaded several from there and been very pleased. You can save them to a jump drive and take them to Kincos or somewhere if you don't have a suitable laser printer. This one is over 400 pages. Go and look at the Frankenmerc thread. Read especially where he sets up the idle and WOT timing. Your engine is basically the same. That is a great reference. I know from experience, when you first look at an outboard you're a bit overwhelmed, but once you break it down logically, these models are really simple. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JMJ. I'll purchase that tonight and download it. Can't hurt thats for sure!

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GRRRRRRRRRR

My dealer said those part numbers for the O-ring, Block off Plate, and Screws are non-existant and should have all been superceded. He thinks he's got the block off plate in stock, because that part number works, but the others don't work at all.

Hopefully I can get my brother to print the picture that I posted above, and take it to them to see if they've got what we need. If not I guess I'll have to order it elsewhere.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just read thru FrankenMerc's timing setting procedure. Holy crap!

I thought timing was set using a timing light while cranking the motor and making some adjustments (somewhere?) if needed...If thats what you need to do that sschefer shows, I have no idea how I'm going to achieve that. I feel like a dummy asking these questions.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I just read thru FrankenMerc's timing setting procedure. Holy crap!

I thought timing was set using a timing light while cranking the motor and making some adjustments (somewhere?) if needed...If thats what you need to do that sschefer shows, I have no idea how I'm going to achieve that. I feel like a dummy asking these questions.

You don't need to index your engine like I did. That was done for a number of reasons that you really don't need to concern yourself with on a stock motor. Just do the timing procedure as it's done in the link/synch in the manual and you'll be fine. It's a lot easier if you dry run through it first.

Do pay attention the fact that my engine indexed #3 & #4 at 24 vs. 25. This is why I never tell anyone to go beyond 23 degrees WOT timing on a stock motor.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did notice that on your motor. I was reading and looking over that yet again, and chaulked it up to it being a 'mod' type motor.

I will look up the link/synch method in the manual. I'm going to have a buddy do the timing though, he's wrenched on tons of outboards over the years, but he's hard to catch. Hopefully he can spare a few minutes this weekend to help me out.

Thanks!

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gave up on the local dealer. Went with promarine. They'll be here on Thursday.

I'll call the dealer and order the stickers like John mentions later today, they should be able to handle that since it seems like a merc part number.

Cinco

Recruit

Hi Mike, I have the 135 version of the same motor, picked it up this summer. I am having all the same issues, and same results. I am going to go the same route, put in the block off and switch to pre-mix. I have been reading on here for a couple weeks, and some really good info available. I purchased the Seloc manual, while interesting and helpful to find locations and parts, its probably not as good as just looking on here. Let me know how the manual you down load is. I thought about the online version, but I usually need to have it with me while working on a motor, and dont think having the laptop out with the gas/oil/water would work too well. Your welcome to borrow my manual some time, I am over in Grant, just SE of you.

I think I need to change out my fuel pump diaphram now. Not getting enough fuel and it surges. I swapped out the fuel filter and have a see through now, you can see the fuel chugging and not filling the filter much. Ran it yesterday and just had no balls, started getting hot so I am worried it ran lean. Will do a compression check to make sure we didnt melt any vital parts. I already put a new impeller in, so that should be pumping enough water.

Where are you running? We hit Hardy dam a lot.

John

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Mike, I have the 135 version of the same motor, picked it up this summer. I am having all the same issues, and same results. I am going to go the same route, put in the block off and switch to pre-mix. I have been reading on here for a couple weeks, and some really good info available. I purchased the Seloc manual, while interesting and helpful to find locations and parts, its probably not as good as just looking on here. Let me know how the manual you down load is. I thought about the online version, but I usually need to have it with me while working on a motor, and dont think having the laptop out with the gas/oil/water would work too well. Your welcome to borrow my manual some time, I am over in Grant, just SE of you.

I think I need to change out my fuel pump diaphram now. Not getting enough fuel and it surges. I swapped out the fuel filter and have a see through now, you can see the fuel chugging and not filling the filter much. Ran it yesterday and just had no balls, started getting hot so I am worried it ran lean. Will do a compression check to make sure we didnt melt any vital parts. I already put a new impeller in, so that should be pumping enough water.

Where are you running? We hit Hardy dam a lot.

John

Hey John, Eric here...Not Mike (Unless you were talking to someone else?)

I think going pre-mix is the best way for me to just run the boat and enjoy it. I'm constantly listening for alarms, opening up the cowls, checking oil pressure, etc...Its been a real drag to say the least. All that on top of already putting some oil in the fuel to be 'safe' since I can't really trust the dang system anyways. I knew I was going to have some 'issues' with the motor being so old, but its in fantastic shape, and has good compression etc...So I think I'll be doing myself and the motor a favor by just going pre-mix and being done with it.

My boat stays in Jenison, MI down by GR most of the time. Thats where my fiance lives and shes got a spot to store it. We go out in the Grand River a lot and into Spring Lake, and Lake MI. But my parents and I have lake frontange in Northern MI too, so its made the trip up a few times already. I've always heard about boating the Hardy Dam area, just never tried it, would like to someday. Where's the best spot to launch?

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On a topic related note, for those interested, the 'PRE-MIX Warning Labels' that have the part number 37-818029 1, are NOT available anymore. I called 3-4 different dealers and couldn't locate them. I'll be having some made up by a sticker guy.

sschefer or jmartin.....To remove the advance modual I simply unhook the wires and unbolt it. Then the pig tails of the wires I trace down to whatever they connect to (switchbox etc) and remove ONLY those wires correct? Leave everything else the same and have the timing adjusted up to 23? as you instructed? (Timing is 21 degrees now???)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yes, you've got it.

I've found some set to 21 and others set to 19. I think it depended on the module. Some of them reduced the 21 degree advance to 19 if a warning occured and others increased the advance from 19 to 21-23 if no warnings existed.

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So basically the advance modual just moves the timing up to the 23? on its own from a base setting of 19 or 21, whichever it may be.

If my timing is set at 19, (I can't for the life of me remember as my friend did check it), I'm safe to move it to 23, once the modual is removed?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm learning a lot, but timing has always been one of those things that gets 'lost' in my brain when trying to think about it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You are safe to set it to 23 after everything is removed.