Ohms readings & No Spark

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
I have, which looks to be an 84' Mariner 15hp outboard Serial # 684C S 038421. It's in good shape and fixing it up to sell for a friend. This motor is driving me crazy, first due to it's age, and second, trying to get strait forward information on it. I do not have a manual on this year, or intend to purchase one just because I'm just fixing it. Some say its a Yamaha, Mercury combined. I know learned from a previous post that Mercury purchased Mariner or merged, something like that. Mechanically, it is solid and have gone through the carb, fuel pump, filter and a general clean up. It's a nice motor (real heavy thing..).
As far as the no spark, I benched the coils and I did not get any readings from either combination of the black, the orange and the primary lead. surprisingly the same from the switchbox as well. That seemed kind of odd that both were shot, but I replaced both due to no readings.. I assembled, and pulled the cord. Dead again. No onto the flywheel and do a visual inspection.. According to the picture it appears like a small trigger, a charging coil, and charge windings (or something like that). MagnetoPG.JPG

I noticed that the two green wires were not plugged into anything and were just hanging down near the exhaust plate at first inspection. They are coming from the copper windings. I took those readings and got continuity between them and also when I reversed the test leads..
Also, I took readings from that small trigger (I'll call it) between the white w/red stripe to its' ground and I got 110.0. I'd change the testing leads and got the same.

Here are the readings that I took from the stator leads set at 4000 ohms:
Wht/red stripe to ground: 110.0
Wht/red stripe to Brown: 203
Wht/red stripe to Black: 111
Brown to Ground: 98
Black to Ground: 56
Green to Green: (continuity)

Since I cannot find specs on this type of "stator" I'm not sure what I'm looking for. When i look at similar years from Mercury and Yamaha their colored wires are slightly off than mine. Any ideas? Are parts available for this if one of these numbers are off?

Last edited: