Oh no. Here I go again.......

64osby

Admiral
Re: Oh no. Here I go again.......

Leave it out in the rain, 2 bricks under the ends and several bricks on the middle.

How's that for low tech. :rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And then the sun comes out for weeks. Weather never co-operates!

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Holiday 18' had a bench back seat from what I been able to see from the brochure pages. Anyone have better pictures on the rear seats and how they may have been constructed? Mine was lone gone......
scan0010.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

My 18' OB Holiday (year unknown) has no rear seats, just the back to back lounger like the upper Holiday in the pix you just posted. And w/ the 'normal' sliding panel doors under the splashwell, it doesn't look like it ever had a rear bench...
GEDC0407_zps92b44645.jpg

Only pix I have... But from the port gunwale pocket & panel, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a rear bench that's been removed..
fake-horse.gif

tgp***

Mine looks like it never had any track upper or lower. Not one hole were the tracks would have been screwed in.
Check out this brochure page. 1972 21' OB Holiday had one and so did the Nova. This is what leads me to believe it had a back bench.

scan0002.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Could boats be ordered like cars used to be, built to your requested options/specs? Maybe yours didn't have the sliding doors. But from the 1 overhead shot you posted earlier:
3.jpg

It doesn't seem to show any bench backrest attachments either.....
shrug.gif
:confused:

tgp***

Could boats be ordered like cars used to be, built to your requested options/specs? Maybe yours didn't have the sliding doors. But from the 1 overhead shot you posted earlier:It doesn't seem to show any bench backrest attachments either..... :

Yes, I believe you could order boats like cars. I have to assume it was available for the Nova , 21' Holiday and the 18' Starchief by the 1972 brochure pictures and the 18' OB action picture looks like the top of the bench is sticking up a little.

I'm searching the internet now hoping to come across a better picture of an OB model interior for 1972.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your's also has the 2 air scoops/vents, that would probably not be 'standard' on an OB.... Best of luck w/ the search.....

tgp***

Your's also has the 2 air scoops/vents, that would probably not be 'standard' on an OB.... Best of luck w/ the search.....

The extra scoops also kinda lead me to believe there may have been a bench there.

64osby

Admiral

MarinerRearBench.jpg

I pulled this rear seat from an old FG boat and made some seat brackets. Works really good and I like the fact that I can check the fuel and oil levels without removing the seats. Removes w/ 3 bolts and makes fishing off the stern easy.

Just putting it out there to give you something to think about.

Making a seat would be easy it's just a matter of how you want it to function and how easy it is to get under the splashwell. That's where the creative powers become challenging.

tgp***

MarinerRearBench.jpg

I pulled this rear seat from an old FG boat and made some seat brackets. Works really good and I like the fact that I can check the fuel and oil levels without removing the seats. Removes w/ 3 bolts and makes fishing off the stern easy. Just putting it out there to give you something to think about. Making a seat would be easy it's just a matter of how you want it to function and how easy it is to get under the splashwell. That's where the creative powers become challenging.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I had in mind. Function and to access the splash can be achieved by hinging I would think. I wish I could sew. I may have to learn. I'm like the idea of opening up the middle of the boat with the bench in the back. I also considering doing that to my 66' Nassau

64osby

Admiral

That bench has no sewing involved, vinyl was folded at the corners and stapled and the back has a trim strip placed over the top seam where the back and front covers met.

The added seating and storage are really nice

tgp***

I managed to get a little work done over the Holidays, thought I'd share. Entire console and dash had rot. Ta Da! New console and dash from scraps and salvage wood. Bent the new dash w/ boiling water towels and the family steam iron.

100_2425.jpg

100_2426.jpg

GA_Boater

Hey, T - Looks real good. Did you go with a single piece of ply or doubled up 1/4"? You got a nice curve in it. Hope the wife didn't catch you using the iron :rolleyes:.

tgp***

Hey, T - Looks real good. Did you go with a single piece of ply or doubled up 1/4"? You got a nice curve in it. Hope the wife didn't catch you using the iron :rolleyes:.

Thanks Georgia....1/2" plywood, did it in two steps w/ the last bend about an 1 1/2' more than I needed.. Did it in few hours in an afternoon.
As far as the iron. I'm the one who usually irons clothes anyway.

GA_Boater

That 1/2" bent a lot easier than I thought it would. Good job!!!

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job on the dash T, looks real good all assembeled

InMotion

Commander

Looks great man! Nice smoooooth curve for the dash pad! Glad to see a fellow boater knows how to use an iron! :)

J.

I haven't been on the site in quite a while. This is the first thread I've stumbled upon. At this rate you may have the boat finished long before the ice is gone in southern Wisconsin. Definitely will be following along to watch your "quick" progress :)

Ell

tgp***

At this rate you may have the boat finished long before the ice is gone in southern Wisconsin.

The grunt work always goes fast. It's the part where you need $$$ to get materials. I'm really trying to scavenge materials right now, 'cause I'm short on funds. And the weather is not cooperating to work on the hull outside.

My need list. Right now.
1/2 sheet of 3/4 inch for the transom (length wise (17" x 72") if anyone can help a brother out.. I have 1/2 of a sheet of marine. I just need the other half so I can glue it up. I found a half sheet of that acraco for $18 at Menards, (I'm considering using it). Best price on a full sheet of 3/4" marine is $70.

I could do some upholstery on the dash/console. But marine vinyl is not on sale at JoAnn fabrics right now (still pricey). I could buy some off Craigslist that I found, but I have color issues.

Needless to say I've come to a stand still. So I'm cleaning parts, and scouring CL for parts and materials.

My items I have for sale on CL are NOT selling right now. Hopefully soon they will, and I'll have some operating cash.

Until then.......