Oh man!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oh man!!!

one more on this... when you say roll and tippin' what exactly are you talking about?

Ayuh,... Search the Restoration forum(Which is probably where this thread shoulda been)...
It's been Well covered in that forum...

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I bet house paint on a boat looks almost as good as it does on a car. :eek:

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This reminded me of when I used to work at Sherwin-Williams. A young hispanic fella cam in to my store and wanted to talk about paint. Problem was, he barely spoke any english. Afer a good while of trying to fugure out what he wanted, I realized he was wanting to buy the absolute cheapest latex house paint we had to paint his car with. Crazy.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow roll and tippin' looks simple enough.
I might try it out

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

wow roll and tippin' looks simple enough.
I might try it out

it does work extremely well...you nay sayers should look into it....some of the finest marine paint manufacterers suggest this method....its all about getting the paint on the hull , and getting it to lay flat....brushing alone does not work , rolling won't work either.. but , put the two together , and you will see astonishing results....must use a nearly dry tipping brush , the wider the better...no brush marks , and no roller marks...by the way , the paint used in that video , is a marine paint.... :D

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

:rolleyes: takes a lil more than any ol' brush and roller.... more like a high quality dense foam roller and an high quality natural bristle brush.;)

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

:rolleyes: takes a lil more than any ol' brush and roller.... more like a high quality dense foam roller and an high quality natural bristle brush.;)

yup , still cheaper than having it sprayed...with amazing results...so , it costs you $30.00 in brush and roller sleeve...per coat... do the math.And just so you know, Rustoleum enamel has a very slow dry time , and that only helps the layout ....(when the paint lays flat ) so it shines like a mirror..... try it sometime... you'll see...the only thing they did not show in the video , was the painter brushing paint off of his brush during tipping , on some paper towels , to keep it dry. It takes a light hand to tip correctly.Pull the brush tips from wet into dry...and move fast... not as much concern to move fast when using rustoleum ( long layout and dry time).
;)

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

yup , still cheaper than having it sprayed...with amazing results...so , it costs you $30.00 in brush and roller sleeve...per coat... do the math.And just so you know, Rustoleum enamel has a very slow dry time , and that only helps the layout ....(when the paint lays flat ) so it shines like a mirror..... try it sometime... you'll see...the only thing they did not show in the video , was the painter brushing paint off of his brush during tipping , on some paper towels , to keep it dry. It takes a light hand to tip correctly.Pull the brush tips from wet into dry...and move fast... not as much concern to move fast when using rustoleum ( long layout and dry time).
;)

:eek: strike a nerve??? lol..... just stating that it takes more than a nap house roller and dollar store brush... I thought we were responding to some one who does not know, and could use advice on the choice of roller and brush. Try what myself???? roll and tip method??? already have and it is usually also my method of choice... including using rustoleum's product, but thanks for the lesson. ;)

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone EVER heard of someone taking HOUSE paint and painting the hull of a boat? I am currently taking the paint off and plan on wet sanding and re gell coating it but REALLY?!?! WTF?!?!?!

I heard a lot of crazy stuff. ..but thats a new one!!:redface:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

:eek: strike a nerve??? lol..... just stating that it takes more than a nap house roller and dollar store brush... I thought we were responding to some one who does not know, and could use advice on the choice of roller and brush. Try what myself???? roll and tip method??? already have and it is usually also my method of choice... including using rustoleum's product, but thanks for the lesson. ;)

no nerve struck , just relating the technique to the OP..all is good here...seems like you may have taken my reply the wrong way..no worries at this end...any quality job will require quality tools to accomplish the desired results... glad you brought up the tool requirements for him...

CarrierSquid

Seaman

ok painting is done... and i must say that even though i aint no profesional painter it does look great!! few spots that look kind of rough but all in all a good lookin boat. now just to fix the mechanical issues i am having