Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Official Business of the 3V Club ( aka tri hull club )

Hi I recently acquired a 1972 Larson that I have to restore a bit but I hope to have it on the lake this year. I grew up on a Mark Twain Tri-Hull and have always loved these boats.
View attachment 227276View attachment 227277

Welcome M & V!

Nice looking boat! There's just something about the Tri-hulls of that era; they just look like a boat unlike the boats of today!

Make sure you start a Restoration thread in that forum when you start on it. We look forward to it and good luck with your rebuild too!

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mike, I'm late to this one but welcome to the forum! I'm near Orillia...getting sick of this snow yet?? I told the wife if this doesn't stop we're getting an icebreaker.

Hey Mark! Wasn't real sure where Orillia was; had to go look, then it dawned on me just as the map popped up. Hope the snow leaves soon for you. We haven't had any snow in a few weeks, but cold damp has replaced it and the bitter cold.

Sides, you don't want an ice breaker, the last one I heard about got stuck in the ice. Guess they made it out.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's been a remarkable winter here too. There is an annual perch festival up this way which is fast approaching with zero open water on the lake...the organizers have had ice issues before but nothing like this.

Sorry to the OP if we're getting too far off topic. :)

southkogs

Staff member
Nothing all that new here, just kinda' staying in touch with the bunch:

Boat's a-floatin' fine:

Proudly flyin' the 3V sticker:

She got her swim deck re-finished this year:

Now I just gotta' keep up with the teak oil.

Haven't been out on the lake much yet this year ... too many graduation parties to go to.

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Corjen1, that boat is bad-ass!!! I love the lines of it, reminds me of an older sports car.

southkogs

Staff member
Very cool boat Corjen. Glastron made some very exciting looking hulls, and generally they delivered a good performance too.

Comoro81

Cadet
id love to join i dont have any pictures of mine on this computer but i have been recording my full restoration of it and putting them on youtube i hope to have it finished and splashing by the 4th of july
www.[B]youtube[/B].com/user/ccgriepp

Comoro81

Cadet
might have helped to mention i have a 1973 silverline comoro 15T never restored a boat before but watching people on this site has given me courage and its been interesting but fun so far hopefully i make the deadline and can go out on the 4th

southkogs

Staff member
might have helped to mention i have a 1973 silverline comoro 15T never restored a boat before but watching people on this site has given me courage and its been interesting but fun so far hopefully i make the deadline and can go out on the 4th
How'd I miss ya' there Comoro81?!? Another Silverline!! Cool. Didja' start a restoration topic? There's also a manufacture section for Silverline here http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/silverline-boats

KE4PWE

Cadet
Hopefully this tri hull club is alive and well. I would like to join, I have a 1970 MFG 14ft Gypsy that's still operational and will be on the restoration recovery come next a summer with new floor, trim, cover, and probably a motor. Right now it has a force 50, uggg just my luck, but the price was right for it and the tilt trailer. Photos to follow.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard - belated as it may be - to all you guys: for some reason I hadn't been getting updated on this topic in my inbox. Sorry I missed y'all coming on board.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Well I did not take any pics but one. Here are some from the original for sale ad though!
Sense buying it I have had it to the lake2 times. First time was no fun, Was running fine at first for about 20 minutes then started cutting out and progressively got worse till we made it back to the dock then would not stay running at the dock and finally would not start.
Brought it home and the carb inlet filter was totally plugged!. Rebuilt carb and cleaned everything from carb to fuel tank. Back to running adjusted timing and carb.
Back to the lake after work a different day. Engine would run up to about 1/2ish throttle then start cutting out. Cruzed around for about an hour just under where the engine would start cutting out.
I suspect the float is not set right and the engine is not getting enough fuel at higher rpm's but cant tell for sure till I get back to the lake this weekend.
Also it really is time to put it away for the winter here so depending on the weather I might not make it at all this year.

Also forgot to mention
It is a 1979 Ranger model TRV-18
Volvo Penta AQ225D engine 280outdrive

Attachments

• photo210099.jpg
    photo210099.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo210100.jpg
    photo210100.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo210101.jpg
    photo210101.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1
  • photo210102.jpg
    photo210102.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo210103.jpg
    photo210103.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain
[SUB]Great looking boat. That V8 should push her along just fine when you get it right. [/SUB]

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Hi. Thanks.
Im pretty proud of it for sure! The boat is solid from everything I can determine and you can tell it had been taken care of by the previous 4326 owners. Interior is perfect.
It does need a little tlc though.

It needs all new gauges. They work but they are old.
Some wiring work. Some has been replaced already
Steering is stiff but usable so either new cable or bushings.
Outdrive leaks oil between lower unit and mid section but no water in outdrive. Needs resealed but does work perfect and no funny noises. I may have over filled it.
Needs new exhaust hoses. The big ones between the risers and outdrive.
Pull the manifolds and risers and check. Maybe replace.
All new bellows and hoses along with the impeller.
A few scrapes in the bottom but nothing big. Should be easy as I work with fiberglass almost every day.

I can do all this work my self easy enough so its just the price of parts and I have all winter to collect up the stuff. So im happy with the $1000 I got it for:D

KingNugz

Cadet
Ello... Everyone... I've been following this for a while... but I never see anything new... is the V3 club still up and running? Does anyone ever post anymore... or is there some place other than here and I'm just not finding it?

I'm really wanting to be able to connect to some people that have Tri Hulls also... I've got 2 tri hulls... both are projects... but one of them... my pride is being professionally rebuilt... actually... just the floor...!

My Pride is a 1973 Rinkerbuilt 17' with an outboard... from what I can gather... its pretty rare... it was a barn find... and the boat shop said it was almost mint... I've got to rebuild the whole interior... as everything is dry rotted... well the furniture and pads were !

So... heres what I'm fixing to do...
1) Rhino line the floor with a yellow tinted liner.
2) Put in to swivel captain seats for driver and passenger sides.
3) Install yellow led light strips to illuminate the whole interior.. all around the inside.
4) Put in a gas tank under the floor like inboards have in them.
5) Have custom Canary Yellow, Cobalt Blue & White seats, rear bench, and open bow seats made.
6) Rewire the whole boat with new wire and fuse box.
7) Install a multi cd changer/mp3 head unit with aquamarine speaker system throughout.
8) Build a custom removable floor for the open bow to be able to have a stilted swivel fishing recliner chair.
9) My "newly acquired" friend... my buddy building my floor and installing the gas tank... is going to make me a custom bimini, convertable, and aft cabin with sides for the boat... at a pretty cheap price...
10) Re Gel coat and paint the boats exterior with custom design.
11) Install a new exterior boat lights and a light bar.
12) Install roller boards on my trailer and paint to match boat.

WOW... I know... thats alot... but I'm doing 90% of it myself... and I'll have it ready for the season... next year. I'd love to hear any input or thoughts... I'll only have one area I'll struggle on... thats the wiring... I've searched all over for something to help with a layout for HOW to wire up the whole boat WITH everything in it I want... but I only find complex diagrams for monster bayliners and yatchs...

Ps... I really want to get the club sticker too... feel free to message me... I'll post pics of my boat as is... and as I rebuild/restore it. Thx Everyone. Can't wait to hear from you.