NY times and US bank secrecy act

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
1st my thought is this...it is a mistake to think you are smart and your enemies are stupid

I was deep into banking for about a year and one of things that US banks were under a lot of pressure was the bank secrecy act. Really the opposite of what you think.

Basically reporting on large transaction and transactions outside the US. The banks were under heavy FED pressure to report and notify such events. Talk to any bank president and his #1 concern was not ID theft or being hacked by someone it was the FEDS and the BSA

The banking laws outside the US are dramatically so things have to be done totally different. In europe they have something called the BASL accords - sort of our Graham Leach bliley stuff.

These things state that not only do you have to keep private stuff private, but you have to have end to end transaction accountability.

You have to realize that the $$ that things cost today you cannot show up with just a bag of money, the bag would be too big! Plus large amounts of cash get stolen easily.

On the minus we all have to think up a new way of tracking the $$, good and bad.

On the good side the Times is also saying look every "covert" survelliance thing our govt does we will let you know about. Then let the people decide wether the actions are warranted.

Tomatolord

KaGee

Admiral
Re: NY times and US bank secrecy act

I'll be content to let the Times decide, the day we hold an election and they win it. Until that happens, it's not up to them or us to decide.

As for the rest of your post, you kind of lost me there Tomato.

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, Tomato, I am not sure what you are saying with this thread. Care to clarify a little? ???

rottenray6402

Ensign

I think what Tomato is trying to say is: There are a number of laws in the banking industry relating to cash transactions. Anytime someone deposits or withdraws over $10K in CASH a transaction report needs to be done, also any transaction purchasing a negotionable instrument like a money order or cashiers check over $3K a different report needs filed. Anytime someone comes in and the bank employee thinks anything is suspicious a different report is filed. These are designed to catch money laundering scams and actually fly in the face of most federal secrecy laws. The bag of money reference is that you can't just bring in a suit case full of cash to buy a car, boat, etc because of the cash reporting laws. Tomato, if this isn't what you meant I apologize!:^

aspeck

Staff member

rr6402 - yes, I understand all of that, I guess I am just not sure what tomato's point is. What I am supposed to see, understand, or learn?

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

The point is that the Times is not really reporting anything new to people in the banking and financial industries. These transactions have just been starting to be tracked not just by the US govt but other govts as well.

It is new to everyone OUTSIDE of the financial industries becuase most people dont know what is going on.

Rotten - it does not HAVE to be cash, ANY transaction that a banker is required by law to know and track AND the bank is supposed to keep up with "foreign" named people and certain institutions. Transactions over 10k, not just cash need to be reported to the fed

The Cash thing was just that in todays society how people do transactions by cash, especially large transactions? Checks yes I understand people writing large checks, but when was the last time you knew someone to have 50k in a suitcase.

Especially terrorists who need the money moved around from remote places to here and there.

tomatolord

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of that reporting was started in the 90s I believe. It was started in an attempt to stop drug related money laundering. The widespread knowledge of this wasn't just known in the banking and financial circles, I believe it has been common knowledge with everyone I come in contact with. As far as helping track terrosts, what the NY Times did is reveal some of the details in an their ongoing support for terrorists..
Cape Coral, Florida
Democrats are the Terrorists best friends!

rottenray6402

Ensign

You are right Tomato, sorry for the misinformation. As Kwas says this was pretty common knowlege and has been going on for quite some time to try and catch drug money laundering. Also as Kwas says the Times revealed some of the stuff that wasn't common knowlege. I fully expect Osoma Bin Laden to endorse the who ever the Dems pick as their Pres hopeful in the next election.