Nut that holds flywhell on

jrboat2011

Seaman Apprentice
How is the best way to remove the nut that holds flywheel on, flywheel turns when I try to loosen nut.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Nut that holds flywhell on

Hi
I put some rope into a cylinder and slowly compress it at tdc.
You can stick something into the flywheel to brace it but that can end up breaking teeth, and thats ends up no cheaper than getting ones own teeth fixed.
You can also buy flywheel straps to hold them

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last time I did it I used my belt as a "backing wrench."

HenryB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed an OB flywheel once using a rope loop and a twist bar. It worked eventually but what a bummer. Clamping some sort of stopper on to the wheel might break it. I really like the rope into the cylinder idea. I see the only problem with it is using something that might remain in the cylinder after the work is done, but removing the head ain’t no big deal if it comes to that.

If someone who’s used this method could post the rope and instructions for inserting it that would be great.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do it the right way, strap wrench or flywheel holder tool.

OR

Use an impact wrench. It will zip it off there in second. But you still need to hold it to reinstall the nut.

OR

1. Obtain a big screwdriver.
2. Stick it between the flywheel teeth and starter pinion teeth.
3. Remove nut.

You must use a torque wrench to reinstall the nut to correct spec. Don't even think of cheating on this.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

image.jpg e bay is your friend,they make different styles of holders.
Grub

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use a breakover with a short socket and hit it sharply .

kfa4303

Banned

Do it the right way, strap wrench or flywheel holder tool.

OR

Use an impact wrench. It will zip it off there in second. But you still need to hold it to reinstall the nut.

OR

1. Obtain a big screwdriver.
2. Stick it between the flywheel teeth and starter pinion teeth.
3. Remove nut.

You must use a torque wrench to reinstall the nut to correct spec. Don't even think of cheating on this.

+1. I even improvised a strap wrench of sorts for my old Big Twin by wrapping an old ratchet strap around the perimeter such that when I when I went to loosen the bolt it would tighten the wrench. You simply reverse the wrap direction when tightening it back down. I like the strap wrench method because it seems to be fairly gentle on the flywheel itself, but both work well. This pic may help.

flywheel puller.jpg

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to Fastenal or somewhere similar and get a chain wrench,you won't regret it.Just make sure the chain is long enough or it'll be useless.DON"T get one at Harbour Freight,they fall to pieces every time you pick them up

rothfm

Ensign

I fab'd a holder out of a piece of plywood. see pics. Provides enough length to counter the nut removal torque. Works even better with the block on a bench on its side. However I just did a stator today with motor on the boat, and It was just as easy to get a flat screwdriver in the teeth and against the solid bracket of the advance indicator (just be careful), and the nut came right off.

Popping the flywheel is another matter :) Search the forum, lots of tips.

1210121928b.jpg1210121928a.jpg1210121928.jpg

67-69johnman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I must be fortunate in this area. i've never had to go to any of these measures. if i can't break it loose by holding the flywheel by hand the 1/4 drive cordless impact gets it every time

kfa4303

Banned

I fab'd a holder out of a piece of plywood. see pics. Provides enough length to counter the nut removal torque. Works even better with the block on a bench on its side. However I just did a stator today with motor on the boat, and It was just as easy to get a flat screwdriver in the teeth and against the solid bracket of the advance indicator (just be careful), and the nut came right off.

Popping the flywheel is another matter :) Search the forum, lots of tips.

View attachment 206383View attachment 206384View attachment 206385

Clever! I like it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I must be fortunate in this area. i've never had to go to any of these measures. if i can't break it loose by holding the flywheel by hand the 1/4 drive cordless impact gets it every time

You must have a mighty good 1/4" drive cordless impact, or only work on small motors.