Now this is a sink hole....

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Now this is a sink hole....

Less money for you ...

TilliamWe

Banned

This is interesting, for sure. Normally sinkholes in FL are associated with drought and lack of water. This one happen after this guy got flooded by the tropical storm? Very weird indeed. I wonder if this hole would have happened to him eventually, no matter what rain he had?

But the geologist is right, it's going to get worse, as the water in the soil dries up.

salty87

Commander

i couldn't listen to the audio but a flood of running water can do incredible damage. i agree that something wasn't right under the surface of this land and trouble was waiting to happen.

that's awful for that landowner. whole area is near useless and much of it is gone along with its market value.

robert graham

Admiral

Sinkholes in Florida usually fill up with water and become lakes....but those same lakes can run dry during drought periods, then fill up again later...it has to do with the level of the underground Aquifer(underground water)....Lake Jackson in Tallahassee has recently drained itself again, but it'll fill back up later...it's just a cycle down there!...every few years!

TilliamWe

Banned

This wasn't a lake, (at least not recently) it was pasture ground. And the flood water wasn't running through it, it was standing.

So yeah, this hole probably was going to happen at some point eventually. Just odd that it happened after they got lots of rain, which would normally refill the aquifer below and prevent a hole.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

YUP, thats a big hole!!
If I remember right, alot of Florida is made up of limestone as a bedrock which is easily eroded+the earth looked quite clay like which does not let water seep through it easily, but is also eroded quickly with running water,
So when an underground spring turns into a underground river, when it lets go, it really lets go.

robert graham

Admiral

My brother lives in Talahassee and driving down through central Florida there's lots and lots of pasture and farm land and many of them have these round sink holes in them...some fill with water and become small lakes. My brother's house foundation has been sinking/cracking lately and they drilled at each corner to a depth of 85' to determine if it was "a sink hole or not"...they determined that it was not, so just have to watch it sink or try to shore up the foundation. Think I'll just stay up here in the South Carolina mountains!;)

FlaCowboy

Ensign

Looks to me like the lake the "iboat" cartoon fellas were fishing in when the one fella reeled in the plug from the bottom of the lake :D

As far as sinkholes here in Florida...we would not have as much of an issue if the water companies were not allowed to pump so much water out of the ground and ship it to the big cities.

kfa4303

Banned

Amen! Go away Nestle bottling corp. et. al.!!!! Robert is right. I live in Tallahassee too and Lake Jackson is up to its willy ways again and decided to spontaneously drained itself again. There were even articles in the paper telling folks to go out with nets and scoop up all the fish as the water level dropped. Apparently, the hole the entire lake drains out of is only about the size of a grapefruit. Go figure. Not to worry, it'll be back sooner or later. These things happen down here. Thankfully, there's lots more water to play in down here.

robert graham

Admiral

Amen! Go away Nestle bottling corp. et. al.!!!! Robert is right. I live in Tallahassee too and Lake Jackson is up to its willy ways again and decided to spontaneously drained itself again. There were even articles in the paper telling folks to go out with nets and scoop up all the fish as the water level dropped. Apparently, the hole the entire lake drains out of is only about the size of a grapefruit. Go figure. Not to worry, it'll be back sooner or later. These things happen down here. Thankfully, there's lots more water to play in down here.
Yep, Lake Jackson's Indian name was, Okeeheepkee, or "disappearing waters"....it'll be back later,when it gets ready!;)

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fill it with water and enjoy your person lake. haha