Now hear, now hear... (Admin5 -I've got my stars)

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
I've got five stars! Gee! Thanks. JB has "only" four at this time. Yes that is out of 27 votes and I have only got one vote (thank you, and no that was not me).<br /><br />I did post this a while ago and that says what I really mean.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=004458 <br /><br />We all know who to listen to, stars or no stars, and JB is for sure one of them. I'm not saying much. :eek: <br />And now back to engines and motors again.<br /><br />..I've got five...<br /><br />/Bear

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Now hear, now hear... (Admin5 -I've got my stars)

Congratulations, Bear. You've earned them. :D <br /><br />Watch out that you don't tell someone something they don't want to hear or they'll demote you, too. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So here's the big question then:<br />Should we keep the ranking system or should we just turn it off? When we upgraded the boards a month or so ago we saw the ranking as a new feature. The stars do not necessarily reflect the person's abilities or experience in the least bit. JB should have 50 stars if that were the case. Many members have at least one vote for five stars - they gave it to themselves. :rolleyes: Heck, I gave myself a vote when I turned the feature on just to see what would happen. Do we keep the ranking feature or turn it off?<br /><br />Happy boating,<br />Admin5<br />iboats.com team member

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anybody who is around this board much, knows who to listen to. I like to think that all of the advice give is good natured, but I think we're all probably guilty of telling something that your brother heard a guy who knows a good wrench who knows a wrench that worked for mercruiser for 2 month" say. Not often, but maybe we see somthing of that nature every once in a while. I was recently demoted, probably something I wrote about the 9-11 situation, not for any advice. I try to give only first hand experience, or if I am guessing, say I am. Didn't think I'd see JB with less than 5 stars, but all that hang out here, I think, are sure that it is political, not technical. Lord know's JB and I don't see eye to eye (B'liner opinions), but I gave him 5 stars because I would listen to his advice as I would a mercury marine tech. Same goes for clanton, 12footer, fouled plug, etc. If your new, hang out, read some earlier posts. You'll figure out who has been around for a while, and who know's what's up. Eventually, the rest of us will catch up, and maybe get by with less screw ups than them, thanks to them. <br /><br />Kev

JB

I think members "vote" based on their own priorities. I tend to scold and some folks don't like that, even if my advice fixed their problem. Some members feel unappreciated unless they have five up there, even when their advice is golden. <br /><br />I abstain on whether to keep it or not, but I don't see it as a useful predictor of the value of a member's advice. <br /><br />Maybe it would work better if a small panel of veterans evaluated a member's contributions and assigned the rating that way. Members of that panel would have to settle for some other way of indicating their "status".<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must've stepped on someone's toes, too.<br /><br />How does one vote?

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had never voted until a minute ago, when I gave JB a vote of 5. But I noticed on my profile that I had a weighted score of 4.71 with 2 votes. Does that mean the votes are weighted? Some are worth more than others?<br /><br />My vote for JB didn't have enough "weight" to get him back to 4.6! <br /><br />Some other boards out there get downright nasty, and I can see how people could sabotage the rankings "just for fun".<br /><br />I say take it down, or create a rating board of known, respected members. It is too easy to play around with people's feelings behind the comfort of a keyboard.<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

fone_man

Admin5:<br /><br />My two cents worth... It is up to popular opinion!!!<br /><br />I sure is nice to see people that work at helping people on this board get credit where credit is due but you can get taken advantage of if someone doesn't like what you say to them. I, like others do not agree all the time but that is what makes this BB great because we have the foroum to discuss these issues & in the meantime be able to help a few people with real problems.<br /><br />Either way... do not let a few bad apples who seek revenge via the "STARS" dictate what we do.<br /><br />JB is a good as you get & I personally apprecate his wisdom along with all the others on this board. I far as I am concerned he has my vote again... as "iboats" 5 STAR GENERAL!!! GO JB!!!<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Fone_Man<br /><br /> :D

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

I'm in favor of doing away with the rating system. I have to echo Kev_79 & fone_man. I believe the greatest reward we can get from our participation on this board is simply a follow-up to suggestions we have made on a problem someone's posted. Too often, we never hear anything back. <br />Backlash

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

There should be term limits :) :D <br />JK, but I did notice you can't go back and give a higher rating at a later date,as a helper gets better and more frequent with his/her helpfull posts. Question is, can Admin fix that, or does the software not allow for that?

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about a system that only lets people vote if they have posted 500 or a 1000 or more times? The voting then would be more concentrated among longer term members. <br /><br />Or skip the voting and just give 5 stars to anyone who has posted a 1000 or more times. How about 1 star per 1000 posts?<br /><br />My original thought on a rating system was to make it easy for the newbie to see who are the more active/involved members. Also this person would be getting some kind of recognition for all of thier unconditional effort. Anyone who has been around a long time and repeatedly helped others regardless of "quality" of advice shows me that they are extremely unselfish people and most likely solve or help solve a lot of problems, seems that they should have some kind of ranking in the community.<br /><br />As far as the current system goes, there seems to be something wrong with the wieghting of votes and there are so many stars out there! seems like it always was except reversed, but now it seems to personal.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd vote to turn off the star system (because I don't have any :D )<br />Seriously, when someone like J.B. (as an example) has only four stars there'something wrong with the system.I know he had 5 stars in the past- how do you lose one? and why?

JB

During the period of this thread it has gone back to 5. <br /><br />I sincerely appreciate the generous comments and statements of support from my colleagues here. It warms my heart.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

rating system?? Naw...turn em off, I did. This is an open forum. When I post , I want to hear from anyone with a suggestion ,then I make a decision as to it's usefullness. I've read some really good stuff and some outlandish B.S.<br />Seems to me that the system just strokes the ego...I do like the gremblins! :D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB..dont stop 'scolding'..as you call it.....whats an opinion if it agrees with the going trend?????? you are valued here because of, not in spite of what you say here...

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I say kill the stars, because they aren't necessarily accurate (as I think we've all pointed out) and someone new to the boards may weight someone's opinion incorrectly because of them.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've logged in just to see how many stars I have. I have no idea how it works, but I say leave it. I know some of those to listen to, and the stars would lend support to those I'm not sure about.<br />I tend to keep quiet unless I think I know what I'm talking about. Good board, good folks, keep it up.<br /><br />Grandx

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

decided to give every on this thread 5 stars- why not...

fone_man

I like your response & teamwork philosophy there what200!!!! Give them all a BIG STAR!!!<br /><br /> :D :eek: :cool: :p :)