nothing happens but a click and choke moves (pics)

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I installed the new starter on my 73 Johnson 65HP (65ESLR73R). I have two batteries that are tested good and one brand new battery that I just purchased. When I turn the ignition key all I get is a click and you can see the choke linkage moving - the starter does not move. There is some hard brown stuff that has seeped onto the block from under the flywheel that looks like it came from some gray plastic peiece. The part that the main starter wire comes from appears to be new. I have checked all the fuses inside the motor.<br /><br />History of problem:<br />The previuos owner told me that he was fishing one day and that he had driven the boat to his fishing hole and stopped and fished for a while and then when he got ready to leave and the boat would not start. He assumed the starter was bad and removed it and then I purchased the boat.<br /><br />Brown goo from under the flywheel<br />
goo1.jpg
<br /><br />New part that main starter wire comes from<br />
newpart.jpg
<br /><br />Does another wire go to the other side of this. What is this part?<br />
missing1.jpg
<br /><br />I checked the connections and all seemed fine.<br />
missing.jpg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: nothing happens but a click and choke moves (pics)

Brown goo is likely from stator, which has nothing at all to do with non cranking issue (but can signal a bad stator, which would prevent starting).<br /><br />Have you checked all primary 12v connections, both + and -, for clean, tight connections and is the wire, both + and - in decent shape?<br /><br />Have you tried jumpering around the solenoid to rule out a bad solenoid? You will need heavy wire to do this and just make contact long enough to see if motor turns over. If the starter turns the motor over when the jumper contact is made, you've got a bad solenoid.<br /><br />The 'click' you hear may be the choke and/or starter solenoid pulling in. Try to tell what's happening with them.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The part with the brown goo is the stator, the goo could indicate a problem. The round part with the triangular base is the rectifier, it should have three wires coming off of it, one red, one yellow and one yellow with gray stripe. All three should connect to that terminal block.<br /><br />I don't have the wiring diagram for that motor, but the red wire should connect to the same terminal as the red wire from the starter solenoid (the one without the fuse link), the yellow would connect to the same terminal as the yellow wire from the stator, same with the yellow/gray.<br /><br />Someone else may have more accurate info, I'm not sure about your other part yet.<br /><br />Good Luck ;)

DHPMARINE

Captain

That solenoid is not stock.It looks like an older Ford solenoid.Take a heavy wire (8 gauge or more) and just touch to both the large terminals on the solenoid.Chances the starter will try to work.<br /><br />Then get the correct solenoid.I don't think yours is wired (internally) correct.<br /><br />Once the motor cranks,you can address the other problems.<br /><br />You can also "jump" the starter to test it.Negative to ground,positive to the threaded lug terminal on the starter.<br /><br />DHP

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The stator is cracked too. Would that make it not start?

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks folks. So it sounds like the solenoid is the culprit and I can find this out by jumping the starter!?!?

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is this part and should there be a wire going to that other conection?<br /><br />Man I wish the wife would let me buy a manual right now. <br /><br />
whatpart.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do the troubleshooting steps in the Engine FAQ, Bman. That should isolate the problem for you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

email me i'll scan the page for you. <tashasdaddy@comcast.net> when you do tell me what it is in reference to i've got CRS (can't remember ----) disease.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tash,<br /><br />I don't know how to email you but you can email me at bdhaley@gmail.com<br />For future referance - does anyone know how to email someone from here? I don't see an email link.<br /><br />JB,<br />Thanks!

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bmann72, <br /><br />In order to email someone they would have post they're adress or allow it to be shown using the account preferences.<br /><br />That said, after looking closely at the pic of the solenoid it doesn't appear to be wired properly, and as DHPMARINE mentioned it doesn't look like a marine solenoid.<br /><br />The large terminal should have three wires connected, the red from bat. and two smaller red wires form the motor. One will have the fuse link and the other should come from the terminal block.<br /><br />The small white wire should connect to one of the smaller posts and the other small post should connect to ground, the other large post will conect to the starter.<br /><br />It would be adviseable to replace the automotive solenoid with a proper marine one to avoid a possible fire situation. Once you have the starter/solenoid situation worked out you'll most likely need to replace stator and likely the rectifier before the motor will start.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeeeez, I was afraid someone would say something like that. Well if my wife ain't gonna let me buy a measley $40 manual I know the stator is out of the question. Looks like I am gonna have to save my pennies cause I sold all the guns I could afford to go without to get this dang boat.<br /><br />Looks like a stator is gonna be around $150 and rectifier is about $45. So that is gonna be another $200 on top of the $130 I just spent on the new starter. <br /><br />Maybe I can't afford to own a boat. :(

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the help everyone, it's nice of all of you to jump in and lend a hand instead of just telling me to do a search. :)

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any of you boat mechanics/dealers out there have a used working stator lying around that you would sell to a guy cheap??? :D

DHPMARINE

Captain

Stators can look that way a long time before you have to replacethem.<br /><br />Take this one step at a time.<br /><br />You'll do fine<br /><br />DHP

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats good to know. Just in case - I found solenoids for around $10 and stators for around $90 online so that isn't as bad. <br /><br />I printed everyones trouble shooting tips as well as all the steps in the FAQ's so I am off to try and figure it out. I think I will go ahead and order the solenoid since I don't have the right one. <br />I'm really good working on car engines so I guess there really isn'y any difference with the outboard.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well it's possible there was nothing wrong with the old starter or solenoid, and the stator was the reason the motor wouldn't start. If the rectifier went first it would eventually cause the stator to look like it does now and not start. The rectifier is also part of the motors' charging system, so bad rectifier leads to a dead battery etc.<br /><br />See if you can concentrate on getting the motor to crank, Then do a compression test and post the results before spending any more money on the motor.<br /><br />You can get a comp. tester at Autzone on the tool lease/lend program, pay a deposit and when you return the tool you get your money back,<br /><br />This link from the FAQ section may help on the starter/solenoid issue.<br /><br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000001

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As DHP said one thing at a time.<br /><br />When you get around to it,<br /><br />This is a post from Member Joe Reeves on how to test the rectifier:<br /><br />(Small Rectifier Test)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.<br /><br />Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.<br /><br />Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.<br /><br />Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.<br /><br />--------------------<br />ReevesJ32@aol.com<br /><br />30+ Years With OMC<br /><br />Good Luck ;)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Much simpler to test the rectifier by using a voltmeter across the battery terminals. If < 13 volts with idling motor, the either stator or rectifier is bad, but how about getting motor to crank 1st?<br /><br />You're going to need a shop manual for anything other than real simple checks.<br /><br />MCM, the guy's stated problem is no cranking. He apparently doesn't know if it will start or not. Previous owner said it had been running, was stopped and then wouldn't turn over. No need to check other stuff until he gets it turuning over.<br /><br />As DHP said one thing at a time.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree 100% WildeOne, just wanted to give him as much info as I could. Also why I said to concentrate on getting the motor to crank :)