Not Sure What To Make Of This

O'Riley

Seaman
My two boys and some friends are heading up to Basswood for the opener in a couple weeks. One of their friends mounted a 9.9 Johnson on the back of his 19' canoe.

99oncanoe.jpg

Now, Basswood can have some big waves. I just have to wonder (and the guy himself too) how this will work out. Anyone ever try this? To me it just looks a little, I don't know, iffy.

Thanks for any thoughts.:)

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: Not Sure What To Make Of This

We cut the back off an 18 ft fiberglass canoe and made a straight back out of it to mount an 8.5 Johnson. It didn't work well at all. There was way to much weight in the back. A real light 2-4 hp would work, or an electric trolling motor with the battery in the middle. We glued some foam type stuff to the sides to try lifting the back and to add some stability. That didn't work very well either. Pretty sure our glass canoe was wider than that aluminum one so they should be in for a fun time. The scariest part was the pressure that was put on the floor of the canoe in the middle. At any speed more than a fast troll it felt like that floor would blow up and we'd sink in a second. Also not really sure that there is enough foam in there to keep it floating if they do swamp it. I'd recommend they stay close to shore and have somebody on standby with a video camera, and leave their valuables in the car.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't look iffy to me at all.

Unless you are thinking "if they make it back alive" , or wondering "if they will make it 100 yards".

I have had a 3 hp on a canoe. Way more power than needed.
Even managed to flip it once when it got moving sideways and built up a wall of water.

Having an 80# motor, and an operator that far back in a canoe could prove very interesting.

Definitely ill advised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbDT0yotbPg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....so many variables....

get weight in the front.....and wear dfd's

oh yeah......we need more vids for the stoopid human tricks forum. :D

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Two things

Safety first, wear your PFD's

Second PLEEEEEAAAAAASE GET VIDEO!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

lol....so many variables....

get weight in the front.....and wear dfd's

oh yeah......we need more vids for the stoopid human tricks forum. :D

subconscious slip ? dfd's

???? dummies' flotation device's ???

Expidia

Commander

Don't need PFD's . . . I'd bring along "body bags" instead :D . . . Thins out the heard!

And doesn't that look like a big "staple" in the bottom left of the mounting board, I don't see any bolts on the bottom of the board. Probably a fake pic anyway.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That looks like the perfect way to guarantee yer goin' Swimmin'...

Canoes are displacement hulls, that don't like planin'....

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

We have an 18 foot Grumman square stern canoe and have mounted at various times a 3 horse johnny and a 5 horse yammie. It's rated for a 5 but I tell you it's a white knuckle ride. We need two 25 litre water jugs in the front for balast and even then you don't dare take your hand off the tiller for a second. With the 3 horse it's a much safer ride, however the racousness of that little motor isn't fun after about 45 minutes at anything much above idle. My dad managed to tip it over with just the weight of the 3 in back.

Just by looking at what your son's buddy had to do to mount the 9 should tell you how ill-advised this is. Especially if they are going to be concentrating on landing fish in water that's cold enough to render your limbs useless inside of 10 minutes and kill you in 20 if you dump - pfds or no. There's no way you are righting that thing from the water and climbing back in.

As others have delicately suggested here - this a life and death choice for your sons and his friends at this time of year. We kid you not - let's not be reading about them in the paper come Monday morning after the season opener.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My guess is that canoe is rated for 3 to 5HP and deadly dangerous above that.

As Bond-o says, canoes are displacement hulls, never meant to go over walking speed.

As Roscoe says, 3HP is more than really needed.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If they're lucky, it will only end up like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=lbDT0yotbPg

If they're unlucky, they'll all die.

This has disaster written all over it. In the video, the guy in the canoe was only using an 8hp, and at least it wasn't mounted a foot above the hull. Please update this thread with the body count after they try it out.

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Meh....I give it a good 20 - 30 seconds.....get it on tape!!!!

O'Riley

Seaman

Here is a picture from the front. First thing I thought with the high motor was it being akin to someone standing up in the canoe.

99.jpg

I should mention these guys aren't kids, they're all in their 30s and have been in the BWCA countless times, Lake 4 usually, just never with this rig.

Myself, I've been in a canoe exactly once.....never again! I prefer something a little wider and deeper like my trusty old 58.....

NewSeats.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll pass this along and hopefully they'll go to plan B. ;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Actually put that in the water and get in it? No.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What a waste of a good 9.9. It will be under water soon.

One of those "Hold my beer, 'n watch dis" moments. :facepalm:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I should mention these guys aren't kids, they're all in their 30s and have been in the BWCA countless times, Lake 4 usually, just never with this rig.

Yeah, cold water doesn't discriminate by age. Just ask the 45 year old fisherman who went out on Lake O with his buddy last week... Well, you can't, cause he's dead. If you could, he would probably tell you that older doesn't equal smarter, and being out on a Great Lake in April in an unsuitable craft is around as stupid as bolting a 9.9 outboard to a canoe and tear-assing around in a Northern Minnesota lake.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120429/NEWS07/704299869

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

my thought would be ,,,hay yall watch this.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Anything over about 2-3hp on that canoe is asking for trouble, up where I live they use small motors on the flat backed canoes all the time, but that much weight and hp is going to be a death trap. Hope they reconsider their plans, I would hate to read a story about two young men and their attempt to go fishing with this set up.

oldjeep

Admiral

Don't be a sally, it'll be fine ;)

EDIT: Sorry, Jeep. The video has ads in it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What is not mentioned here is that as a displacement hull, it will NOT get on plane. The faster you push it the deeper the stern sits and the farther up the bow comes. Sooner than later the laws of physics take over. This is a very bad idea and an even worse idea in practice.