Not sure if water/oil should be here, '63 Seahorse?

dougandmel

Cadet
HI, I've got another question about my new to me '63 Johnson Seahorse 10 HP model QD-24. After changing the lower unit oil(which there was only about an ounce or two in the lower unit), I was having trouble getting it to shift, so I took off the cover plate on the exhaust housing where the connector for the upper and lower shift rods join, and I noticed there was oil/water mix covering the shift rods and connector. Is this normal, or do I have a bad seal somewhere? If so, where might it be leaking? The guy I bought if from said he just replaced the impeller, so maybe he didn't seal everything up correctly, I'm not sure. Or, maybe this is normal, and I don't need to worry about it. Thanks for your help, Doug.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Not sure if water/oil should be here, '63 Seahorse?

That area you speak of is the exhaust housing. The cooling water exits the powerhead and travels down that area on its way to the exhaust outlet just above the propeller. Also that is the outlet passageway for the unburnt oil. Bottom line..... water and oil in that area is normal.

However, the above does not mean that trouble does not exist with the lower unit. You can test the lower unit for leakage by draining the gearlube out, then applying 7 to 12 pounds of air pressure to either the oil lever or drain screw hole. Leakage should reveal itself via sound and/or sight. Since the lower unit had only a few ounces in it when you checked it, I'd suggest resealing it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those gearcases don't like being run with no oil and/or water in them. Cross your fingers.

dougandmel

Cadet

Thanks Joe, I'll have to give that a try and see what happens.